Draft Minutes of Meeting 30th July 2018

Minutes of the meeting of Upton Parish Council (UPC) held at 7pm on Monday 30th July 2018 in the village hall meeting room.

Present:- Stuart Fraser (Chair, SCF), Liz Cooper (Clerk/EC), Stuart Norman (Vice Chair, SN), Jo Fidgen (JF), Cllr R Waite (RW), Cllr Janet Shelley (JS), Cllr Mike Fox-Davies (MFD), Hamish Blythe (HB), Lesley Shaw (LS)

  1. Apologies for absence.

Gary Kirby (PCSO), Brendan Heneghan, Karen Marshal

  1. Explanation on The Loop application from Hamish Blythe

The Loop – a car sharing app / platform, with a focus on Blewbury, Upton and the Astons.

HB attended the meeting to explain this project, (previously called Ryde). It is a social enterprise, designed to bring drivers and passengers together to reduce pressures on number of cars on the road, in car parks and help people who may not otherwise easily be able to get from A to B. It is proposed that passengers pay £1 per mile, drivers can claim the standard 45ppm HMRC rate and 10ppm would go to the PC. Participants will need to register, together with a photo & driving licence for security purposes. Launch is scheduled for mid-August. Further details are available from HB, via the Clerk.

  1. Reports from District & County Councillors
  2. Waite / J. Shelley – report incorporated below. Also noted:-
  • JS gave a summary of Gate House situation and planning enforcement breaches to date.
  • RW will forward information on medical facts in Great Western Park when he has these.
  • RW stated that funds are available on application for village events for a period of 3 years (with funds reducing year on year).
  • JS stated that the NAG group still exists, led by Andrew Forsythin Wantage.
  • Fly tipping may be on the increase and all are asked to be vigilant and call 101 for suspected incidents.

M Fox-Davies – report incorporated below. MFD also noted:-

  • Council Community Fund. MFD urged the PC to apply.
  • Community Speed Watch. Clerk to speak to Blewbury Clerk re additional information and report back to UPC.
  • Thames Water Reservoir at Steventon. The CC are objecting to this application.
  • MFD to forward information from Oxford CC & the Woodland Trust regarding planting of trees for the Armistice Day 100th anniversary.
  1. To hear representations from the public

LS attended the meeting to raise concerns over the recent incident of a fire in the toddler play area and the removal of a sycamore tree, both to the rear of her property.

4.1 Fire on the rec 14.7.18

A fire started in the early evening of 14.7.18 in the toddler play area. The fire brigade were called by a neighbour and a high pressure hose reel was used to extinguish the fire and prevent any fire spread.

SN agreed to look in to fire regulations and report back to the PC.

The PC agreed that defined rules for fires on Parish Council land are required which should include, but not be limited to; the siting of fires in the future, not to leave a fire unattended and smouldering fires must be put out.

SCF to speak to GdeW

4.2 Removal of sycamore

Lesley expressed her surprise at not being informed about the removal of a tree which gave some privacy to her garden. The Chair stated if further tree work is required, a member of the council would try to speak to neighbouring residents. The Chair further stated that the tree in question was confirmed as ‘sick’ by a tree surgeon and had to be removed. (Clerk’s note:- this has subsequently been clarified as the tree had numerous long thick nails driven in to it).

  1. PCSO Report

No report received.

  1. To record declarations of interest from councillors regarding items on the agenda.

None declared.

  1. To approve the minutes of the following meetings:-
  • UPCX 02.05.18
  • UPCX 20.06.18

Minutes were approved & signed by SCF.

  1. To go through any Matters Arising and Actions from previous minutes above

Play area resurfacing – JF had samples of woodchips from different supplies & explained

the differences. The PC voted (3-0) to accept the quote for ‘cushionfall’ woodchips from

Giffords at a cost of £1344 inc VAT & Delivery. JF to ensure formal quote is sent for the

attention of the Clerk. Clerk then to action order. JF to check the availability of

machinery & volunteers to aid with the distribution of the material.

  1. To discuss Planning Application P18/V1715/HH

The Gate House, Reading Road, Upton. Installation of oak posts & glass balustrade over flat roof to form balcony to north elevation. Reconfiguration of window opening to form door access to balcony.

Deadline 10.8.18

The PC agreed to OBJECT to this planning application as it is already the subject of an enforcement action regarding the unauthorised addition of the balcony and access.  The PC fully support the enforcement action being taken.

  1. To discuss Upton Rec Car Park Security

After a discussion regarding the security of the rec,  UPC agreed not to instigate or install any additional security measures at this time.

  1. To discuss UPC’s Local Council Insurance

       The Clerk explained that the insurance premium from Came&Co had increased this

year due to an increase in the sums assured. On balance, the increase of £10.95 was

agreed in order to maximise the sums assured.

  1. To hear Clerk’s Financial Report & Approve Expenditure

13.1 Updated cashbook report to 30.07.18

The cashbook was circulated in advance and no questions were raised on it’s

presentation.

13.2 Expenses & Invoices (to be paid)

  • Clerk expenses for the period 15.5.18 to 30.07.18 Total £10.80
  • Came&Co Local Council Insurance £558.54 + VAT
  • Grounds upkeep expenses £TBC – none presented.

The PC agreed to the two expenses being paid as listed above.

13.3 Expenses & Invoices (paid, to be ratified)

  • Purchase of laptop for Clerk’s use £232.58 + VAT (paid online 05.07.18)

The council ratified the purchase of the laptop above.

  1. Updated Financial Regulations for UPC (circulated 3.7.18)

The PC agreed to the updated Financial Regulations.

  1. Update on UPC IT Policy – SCF

 SCF stated that due to the costs involved in adding councillor email address to

Office 365, that other (free) email address would be arranged for the councillors.

Clerk to check that access to PC documents can be arranged.

Clerk to see if a Standing Order can be set up through the bank to pay Office 365

monthly. Clerk’s note:- Actioned 1.8.18

  1. Update on the provision and installation of a defibrillator cabinet to the village

       hall – SCF

       SCF confirmed that the donation offer of a defibrillator unit to the PC was still on the

table. SCF also confirmed he had a quote for c£750 + VAT for a lockable cabinet plus

installation at c£115 + VAT. SCF to copy PC & Clerk in on spec & quotes. The PC voted

3-0 to install the defibrillator cabinet, based on the information given.

  1. Update on the Recreation Ground Inspection Rota – KM

       Carried forward to the next meeting.

  1. To discuss various concerns around the rec:-

18.1 Further tree work (Mr Nelson’s emails dated 3.7.18 & refers). SCF confirmed that branches overhanging a property neighbouring the rec had been removed.

18.2 Previous tree work – confirm work completed

See 4.2 above.

18.3 Fire on rec Saturday 14.7.18

See 4.1 above

18.4 Additional / replacement Bins (dog waste or otherwise on the Church path). A request was received for a dog waste bin to be sited on Church Street at the junction of the footpath that goes past the St Mary’s church.  It was agreed in principle by the PC subject to further enquiries. SCF to speak to Biffa.

  1. AOB

Note:- No decisions can be made under AOB. This is for information only or items for the next meeting. 

The meeting closed at 9.45pm. 

   Date of next meeting:-

   Regular Council Meeting, Monday 17th September 2018 at 7.00pm pm in the village hall

   meeting room.

 

REPORT TO UPTON PARISH COUNCIL JULY 2018

FROM CLLR MIKE FOX-DAVIES

GENERAL OCC REPORT

SHARED SERVICE ARRANGEMENT BETWEEN OCC AND CDC

As reported previously, OCC and Cherwell District Council (CDC) are considering a proposal for shared service arrangements under a joint chief executive, while retaining separate councillor bodies, budgets and decision-making processes. The exact arrangements for sharing services and joining up functions still need to be worked out in detail and then agreed separately by each council. They will be implemented incrementally. Approval to move to the next stage was given by OCC’s Cabinet on Monday 4 June. OCC’s Remuneration Committee subsequently agreed to recommend the appointment of Yvonne Rees, the current Chief Executive of CDC, as joint Chief Executive of the County Council and Cherwell District Council. The appointment process now moves on to both Full Councils of OCC (10 July) and CDC (16 July). The final decision therefore remains a decision for Members.

DELAYED TRANSFERS OF CARE – OXFORDSHIRE FIGURES ARE IMPROVING 

Delayed transfer of care (DToC) cases are now at the lowest level for many years in Oxfordshire. The latest national figures published by the Department of Health showed that the average number of people delayed has fallen from 168 in April 2017 to 117 this April. Since April 2018, the number of delays has fallen further and is currently only 78 – more than halving in just over a year. Effective and sustained joint working by OCC and the NHS across Oxfordshire has seen consistent and on-going reductions in the number of people delayed in hospital. Department of Health figures showed a 44% decrease in the number of social care delays, and a drop in the overall number of days delayed in a hospital. Only 13% of delays were attributable to social care, which is down from 15% in March 2017.

COUNTY COUNCIL BUDGET OUTTURN HITS THE MARK 

The council’s Cabinet received final budget figures for the 2017/18 financial year at its meeting on Tuesday, June 19. OCC managed its net budget with 99.8 per cent accuracy for 2017/18, with an underspend of just £1m (0.2 per cent) on an overall service budget of £422m.  

SITE ALLOCATIONS CONSULTATION ON MINERALS AND WASTE LOCAL PLAN 

The council reached a new milestone in the ongoing planning process to decide where minerals can be extracted and waste management facilities can be located in June with Cabinet asked to approve a site consultation exercise. This will take place in July-September and it will be open to all interested organisations and individuals to respond. All parish councils, environmental and community groups, organisations and individuals who have previously asked to be informed about the plan will be notified when the consultation starts, where the consultation documents can be seen and how to respond. A core strategy was adopted by the council in September 2017 and it was always planned that work on specific site allocations would follow this.

The report can be viewed here: http://mycouncil.oxfordshire.gov.uk/documents/s42394/CA_JUN1918R15%20MWLP-SitesPlan_Report_final.pdf

HIGHWAYS UPDATE 

The bad winter has taken its toll on road conditions across the county, so OCC welcomed the additional £2.7m the Government has provided for this year; additional gangs have been employed to ensure we utilise the funds during the summer months. Last month 6,236 defects were repaired showing progress is being made on the defects reported during the bad weather.

A fact sheet has been produced giving details about the condition of the county’s highways and the actions being taken to maintain them. This will be issued to all councillors and parish clerks during the month of July.

OXFORDSHIRE’S NEW DOMESTIC ABUSE SERVICE LAUNCHED 

A new domestic abuse service for Oxfordshire was launched in June. The new service was set up by OCC in partnership with District Councils and the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for the Thames Valley. The service is designed to be highly inclusive to address emotional and practical support needs for any victim suffering or fleeing domestic abuse in Oxfordshire. It incorporates a single access point for victims and professionals, community-based Outreach Workers and Independent Domestic Violence Advisors (IDVA) and includes specialist workers to support young people and Black Asian Minority Ethnic and Refugee (BAMER) communities. There is also a program to support victims with complex needs.

Victims fleeing abuse will be able to access refuge in Banbury and in one other location, located in either Didcot or Oxford. In addition, the service launches a new model of refuge, delivered from dispersed locations across Oxfordshire, benefiting those unable to access conventional refuge services including male victims, victims with live in carers and families with older male sons. To report concerns, please use the A2Dominion ODAS helpline (0800 731 0055) or ku.gro.noinimod2anull@citsemoderihsdrofxo

NHS HEALTH CHECKS 

OCC-funded NHS Health Checks are designed to spot early warnings of stroke, kidney and heart disease, Type 2 diabetes and dementia. They are available to anyone aged between the ages of 40 and 74 who has not already been diagnosed with an existing cardiovascular condition. They are free and applicants will be invited to have one once every five years. GP surgeries will automatically send out invitations, but if one is not received, residents should contact their surgery and make an appointment.

The check will take around 20 to 30 minutes. For further information about free NHS Health Checks visit: www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/nhshealthcheck

FIGHTING BACK AGAINST THE SCAMMERS

OCC is an enthusiastic backer of Friends Against Scams, a national scheme run by the country’s trading standards services, which aims to:

  • Highlight the scale of the problem by getting communities and the nation talking about scams.
    • Change the perceptions of why people become scam victims.
      • Prevent people from becoming or continuing to be a scam victim by providing more adequate support.
        • Recruit people to join the fight against scams to make this a scam-free nation

Friends Against Scams works on several levels. It has a website which gives detailed information on the huge variety of scams as well as encouraging visitors to take a more active role. Residents can become a ‘friend’ by completing an online course or build up to become a SCAMbassador – giving talks to local groups and organisations – after receiving further face-to-face training by OCC’s own Trading Standards Service. For further information visit the Friends Against Scams website. Advice is available on 03454 04 05 06

Upton Parish Council

District Notes for Parish Councillors on Monday, 30th July 2018

from Cllr Janet Shelley & Cllr Reg Waite

Planning Enforcement Investigations:

VE18/99          The Gate House, Reading Road, Upton OX11 9HP

Reported:  20 February 2018

Alleged breach:  House not built in accordance with the approved plan for P16/1903/FUL unauthorised addition of balcony and access.

Case Officer:  Clare Marriott

Site visited:  26 February 2018 and 28 March 2018

6 week target date:  3 April 2018