Advance Notice of Upton Village Fete

The fete this year will be held on Saturday, 2 September starting at 2.00 on the recreation ground. So keep the date free – it will be well worth it!

For the first time the fete will be a joint effort between St Mary’s Church and UVHAT – the Upton Village Hall Amenities Trust. The organising committee has already been very busy and we’re pleased to announce some exciting new ideas – donkeys, a cartoonist, a car boot sale and a bake-off competition to name but a few. And we won’t forget the old favourites – the teas, the book stall, white elephant, a barbeque and many others.

Entertainments will include a dog show, gymnasts, Blewbury Brass Band and the children’s entertainer, Juggling John, who proved to be such a hit last year. And we would welcome other ideas too – please contact a member of the committee if you have any suggestions.

We are aiming to raise at least £4,000 to be split between UVHAT and St Mary’s so we look forward to seeing as many as possible at one of the highlights of Upton village life in September.

Look out for more news next month!

Upton Village Fete Committee: Gloria Smith, Jacqui Reid, Jessie West, Brian Rippon and Paul Batho

Film Club’s Next Movie

Sully: Miracle on the Hudson (The story of Chesley Sullenberger, who became a hero after gliding his plane along the water in the Hudson River, saving all of his 155 passengers) has been chosen to be your next movie – showing on Friday June 9th

The movie will start at 8 o’clock

There will be an intermission approximately halfway through.

Drinks will also be available before and after the showing.

Place the date in your diary – £5.00.

Doors open at 7:15 so why not come along early for a drink and a chat and to celebrate or

commiserate the end of the election campaign.

Rob Traynor

Bake Up Enjoy the Tarts

There was a fine turnout for the second Upton baking social in March. The theme was ‘tarts’ and we tasted a panoply of pastry-based goodies, both savoury and sweet.
A humdinger of a pissaladiere took centre stage, and other onion fillings proved popular in the savoury section. Spanakopita and cheese and tomato slice were also devoured with gusto.
In the sweet department we had lemon curd tarts, rhubarb and almond, apple slice and Swedish nut pie.
One audacious recipe dispensed with pastry altogether and used bacon for a base with an egg, bacon and cheese filling. Breakfast in a bite!
If you have a yen to bake (not competitively) the next meet-up is on Friday May 12 at 11am at Fieldfare near the church.
The theme is quite simply ‘cake’. Do come along and don’t forget some Tupperware for the divvy up.

Kieron Humphrey

Village Litter Pick

Volunteers are needed for the annual Village Litter Pick which will take place on Saturday 25th March, meeting at the Village Hall at 9.30.

Hi viz vests, litter-sticks and refuse sacks will be made available but we cannot manage this task without volunteers and the more we have the more litter we can clean up.

It is amazing just how much litter accumulates around our roads and footpaths and how much better the village looks when it has been removed.

Thank you

Rob Traynor

Welcome News for Our Bus Service

Following the withdrawal of bus subsidies by Oxfordshire County Council, representatives of the local villages have joined together to form the Downland Villages Transport Group to work with the bus companies to retain as much service as possible. We are pleased to announce that Thames Travel will continue a Monday to Friday service on the 94 route and that there will be a twice daily service also serving the Astons and the Mortons, made possible by the transfer of the school run to the scheduled bus. There will be some increase in fares and the bus service will operate on a trial basis for one year starting on 24th July.

Thames travel has released the new 94/94A timetable, please click on this link Bus Timetable

The 94 will serve the Hagbournes, Blewbury and Upton and will run roughly hourly from early morning until the evening from Monday to Friday. During term time a 94A service will run once in the morning and once in the afternoon; in addition to serving the 94 villages. It will also serve the Astons and the Mortons. The longer term future depends on the economic viability of the service, so more users are needed!

The Downland Villages Transport Group is grateful to everyone who has provided input on bus services over the past few months and for the support of our County Councillors. You’ve said clearly that keeping bus services is important for the life of our villages. Your input has helped us to argue for our transport needs and to begin to work out some new options where services have been cut, while the new timetable will not be perfect for everyone. Thames Travel have listened to our suggestions and responded where they can. It is a trial- we need to ensure adequate use, as it’s fairly close –cut thing for them on a commercial basis.

*A key factor that made Thames Travel feel it was “worth giving it a go” on the 94/94A was that “you (our villages) were really passionate about keeping the service”

* The key financial replacements for the lost subsidies were, as we knew, school funding and some development funding.

A real effort has been made to try and serve our commuters. If it fits in with your schedule please give it a try.

As and when more information becomes available, we’ll keep you informed.

Jesse West

 

 

 

 

Minutes of Extraordinary Meeting 4 May 2016

UPTON PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Extraordinary Meeting of Upton Parish Council

Upton Village Hall, Wednesday 4th May 2016 at 8.00 pm

PRESENT:  Dr R Lott (Chairman), Mr S Norman, Mr R Traynor, Mrs K Fletcher, Ms K Marshall, Mrs A Hoy (Clerk) and 40 members of the public

1. Apologies for Absence – Mr S Fraser

2. Declarations of Interest
Members are asked to declare any personal interest and the nature of that interest which they may have in any items under consideration at this meeting.  None received

3. Public Forum:  The meeting was closed to allow the public’s views on the planning applications under consideration to be heard. The previous planning application histories and objections were reviewed. Dwellings on this site had previously been refused, in 2002, 2003 and 2011 (withdrawn). The Chairman read out part of the applicant’s statement which mentioned that the application was in accordance with the National Planning Policy Framework and Planning Policy for Traveller Sites published in August 2015, that sufficient provision for Travellers should be made by local authorities, and that there was currently a need for thirteen such plots, three required immediately, within the Vale area.  However it was pointed out that the same documents state that local planning authorities should strictly limit new traveller site development in open countryside and should make use of brownfield sites or untidy or derelict land.  It also stated that there should be adequate schools, shops and other community facilities within reasonable walking distance, and such a site should not place undue pressure on local infrastructure, or be located in an area subject to flooding.  Inaccuracies in the application were also discussed, including the claim that the site is located outside the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It was also pointed out that the application states the site had been identified by the Vale as “suitable for traveller sites”, but no evidence was supplied to support this claim.

Comments from the floor were universally against the application, citing the fact that the area in question IS inside the AONB and as such only developments that enhanced and conserved the natural beauty of the site should be approved.  Vehicular access onto the A417 was also considered to be of major concern, given the poor visibility when turning onto the Lynch Way. It was also noted that the site was within an area previously identified as at risk of flooding. Concerns were raised regarding the use of a Septic tank and where its content would end up in the event of a flood. Additionally it was pointed out that the site was outside the built up area of the village and would have no services within a practical walking distance. It was also pointed out the access to public transport was likely to disappear with the withdrawal of public subsidies.

The Chairman stated that although the applicant had stated that there was urgent need for at least 3 pitches, it was not clear at this stage whether this need had already been met by other sites and that this would be a line of enquiry.  He considered the application at odds with saved policies set out in the Local Plan 2011, proposed policies set out in the Local Plan 2031, the National Planning Policy Framework 2012, and the Planning Policy for Traveller Sites 2015. He pointed out that the NPPF took precedence over the Local Plan 2031 while it was still to be approved by central government.

Many parishioners were worried that if this application was granted, Traveller “activities” might spill out to the adjoining site behind the George & Dragon and the Lynch Way. A precedent might also be set that could see a further application for Traveller pitches on the adjoining site behind the George & Dragon. It was noted that Mr Wells had just been granted planning permission to convert this area from agricultural to equestrian use.

Much concern was voiced about the existing dangers of the A417 through Upton and the dangers that accessing this site would entail, given the very poor visibility on the bend.

Several people thought a Planning Consultant should be employed to fight the application.  The Chairman responded that it might be premature to incur such costs and that a consultant could be engaged if it looked as though the decision might go to committee. It was recommended that everyone present should make their views known on the Vale website before the closing date of 18th May.  The Chairman promised to circulate his notes on the relevant policy documents and  the editor of Upton News promised to publicise the matter and circulate to the mailing list.  The Chairman stated that were the planning officer to recommend Approval but sufficient objections were received, the matter had to go to the full Planning Committee, so it was important for everyone to voice their feelings.  Public Forum was then closed and the meeting reconvened.

4. Planning Application:
P16/V0885/FUL – Development work at Maslina, Reading Road; replacement dwelling, garaging and landscaping.  The plans were discussed and a vote to FULLY SUPPORT the application was carried.  Clerk to advise the Vale.

P16/V0553/FUL – Land adjacent and rear of George & Dragon; Proposed traveller site with provision for three individual plots with hard standing and individual parking, sharing amenity space and bin storage areas.  The Council voted unanimously to OBJECT to the application for the following reasons:

The application is within North Wessex Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and within Flood Zone 3 contrary to paragraph 115 of the NPPF, saved policy NE6 of the Local Plan 2011, Core Policy 27 of the Local Plan 2031, and Policy B Paragraph 13, Point g) of the Planning Policy for Traveller Sites.

In addition the site does not meet all the requirement set out in saved policy H22 of the Local Plan 2011 nor Policy H of the Planning Policy for Traveller Sites. It was not clear that there was any current need.

Accessing the site would require a dangerous manoeuvre across (known to be) fast moving traffic on a blind bend.

The Clerk was requested to advise the Vale accordingly and query with Cllr Janet Shelley why the site was supposedly considered suitable for a Travellers’ site.

 

Appendix A – Schedule of payments

Description Amount
UVHAT Hall Hire, Q2 30.00
TOTAL 30.00

Angela Hoy, Clerk
Tel:  01235 851726
7th May 2016

New Stamps at Blewbury P.O.

The Queen Elizabeth 90th birthday stamps will be on sale very shortly, they are far better than the last so called “special” stamps! We have ordered extra’s!

Much as we would love to work overtime, we don’t get paid for any time worked over our allotted 30 hours a week, so please remember when you rush in at 5 minutes to closing time, for us to process your parcels etc, that we are cashing up and dispatching all our paperwork, or attempting to clean the floor!

We will be closed on Monday 2nd May and Monday 30th May, as they are bank holidays, allowances & benefitswill be  paid on the Friday,  if your usual pay day is Monday,  Advance warning that we are also closed on Saturdays 6th  (VPA garden visit) & 11th June (family fun day on Tickers Folly)

It must be heading towards summer, the ice cream is here!

Love from Karen & Angela

Emergency Plan for Upton

Many emergencies are dealt with in a co-ordinated joint response by the emergency services, local authorities and the major utilities providers. There may be occasions when communities could help themselves:

  • While waiting for the arrival of emergency services.
  • During widespread events such as flu pandemic, flooding, storm damage or deep snow.
  • Following the loss of basic utilities for an extended period possibly combined with extreme weather conditions.

The Parish Council would like to have an effective community group that could provide immediate support to village residents impacted by such an emergency. There have been house fires, flooding and road traffic accidents.

An Emergency Management Team can be made up from anyone within the village who could offer their skills in time of a crisis. The Parish Council are looking for anyone willing to become part of the team and help devise a simple plan of action that could be put in place in times of an emergency.

For that once in a ‘blue moon’ situation it would be nice to have a group of people who could organise, communicate and address the short-term needs of individuals affected by the emergency.

If you would like to be part of this team please contact me, verbally or by email.

 

Rob Traynor

moc.liamtohnull@5traynor

Agenda for Meeting 19th January 2016

UPTON PARISH COUNCIL

You are summoned to a

Meeting of Upton Parish Council in Upton Village Hall on Tuesday 19th January 2016 at 8.00 pm

AGENDA

  1. Apologies for Absence
  1. Declarations of Interest

Members are asked to declare any personal interest and the nature of that interest which they may have in any items under consideration at this meeting.

  1. Adoption of minutes of meeting: 17th November, 18th December
  1. Reports
    • County Councillor’s Report
    • District Councillor’s Report
    • PCSO’s report (no PCSO in post at present)
  1. Public Forum
  1. Matters arising:

Parish Council Meeting on 17th November:

  1. Emergency Planning update – RT to report on progress with Ian Ross
  2. Parish plan update – RT to report on publication of Plan
  3. Possible creation of “false footway” in Prospect Road to enable footpath surface standards to be maintained. RL to report on communications with Highways
  4. Adoption of Recreation Ground rules following publication for comment (circulated)
  5. Post Office Outreach – response to Upton News article
  6. Data Storage: Decide on appropriate replacement of current “cloud” provider (Alfresco) as free service has ceased
  7. A417 Crossing requested by young resident; RL to report on Highways Liaison Meeting 3rd December

            Parish Council Meeting on 18th December – taken under Planning

  1. Business to be transacted:
  2. Review of Smaller Authorities audit Vote to opt in or stay out of the Smaller Authorities Audit arrangements.
  3. OALC Courses in 2016: circulated (email). Decide who should attend what, if at all.
  4. Financial Report end of 3rd quarter to 31st December
  5. Decide on appropriate amount to request.
  6. Confirm date of Annual Parish Meeting (Monday 18th April?)
  7. Dates of UPC meetings 2015/16 (circulated). Vote to change meeting dates from a Tuesday to a Monday.
  8. Acceptance of £3360.35 donation from Uptonogood? for use on “recreation ground facilities” (both new and maintenance of existing).
  9. Acceptance of £3440.35 donation from Uptonogood? for use on the village hall under the direction of UVHAT.
  10. OPFA Annual Membership Renewal £40 – agree or decline.
  1. Planning:
  • Methodist Chapel – Mr Fraser and Ms Marshall to report on meeting with Westwaddy on site.

For noting:

Correspondence

  • Letter from Lord Lieutenant of Oxford requesting PCs celebrate Queen’s 90th birthday; suggestions?
  • Letter from Lloyds Bank announcing changes to financial services compensation scheme limit, reducing from £85 to £75,000.
  • Letter from Vale enclosing Precept Form and requesting response by January 16 (extended to 22 January).
  • Copy of complaint to VoWH from Alex Smith
  • SLCC Renewal of Clerk’s subscription
  • OPFA request for renewal of membership

Receipts since last meeting

  • Bank interest, Nov 16p, Dec 15p
  • Uptonogood donations, 8th Jan, totalling £70

Angela Hoy, Clerk

Tel: 01235 851726

13th January 2016

  Appendix A – Schedule of payments

 

Description

Amount
Gopak: Tables & Trollies for UVHAT 2679.47
Kalehurst: Self-propelled mower service and parts 114.50
Kalehurst: Ride on mower service and parts 307.18
Clerk’s SLCC membership subscription 2016 77.00
Clerk’s salary Nov/Dec @ £149.60 (S/O) 399.20
Cemetery Loan (DD) 412.91
TOTAL 3990.26

 

Proposed Outreach Post Office for Upton

Blewbury Post Office is considering the viability of running an outreach post office at Upton Village Hall for four hours once a week and is seeking your views on this.

We need to know whether you would use such a service, and if so, how often, as Post Office Limited will not sanction the expenditure unless they feel it is worth their while. The previous post office facility was closed through lack of demand so we need to prove the case for a new facility.

Services that could be offered include:

Cash withdrawals and deposits

Bank cheques and pay bills, including Council tax

Draw pensions

Accept letters and parcels, including Parcel Force and online returns

Sell stamps/stamp books

Sell Gift Cards

Top-up mobile telephones

Sell Health Lottery tickets

Sell pre-ordered Euros and other currencies

Change facility, withdraw and pay in

The Village Hall Management Committee is keen for the Hall to be used during the day and is supporting this idea; it could be combined with the serving of refreshments and also, taking a leaf out of the very successful “Tea with Technology” sessions at Aston Village Hall, where local residents are given help and advice on their laptops, tablets and mobile phones – for free!

Please complete the questionnaire attached to this item and email it to ku.oc.licnuochsirapnotpunull@krelc

QUESTIONNAIRE FOR OUTREACH POST OFFICE IN UPTON

1.    Which Post Office do you currently use:

Blewbury / Didcot / East Hagbourne / Other

  1. How do you get there? Car Bus      Other (specify)
  1. Would you use a weekly PO facility in Upton Village Hall?
  1. What day and time would you prefer:

Morning                       Afternoon

Day of Week                           Don’t mind

  1. Which of the following services might you use and how often?

Often               Occasionally                Never

Cash withdrawal

Pensions

Banking

Foreign Currency

Pay bills

Post and parcels

Phone top-up

Lottery

Buy stamps

Change facility