Methodist Church

Upton Methodist Church

The first Upton Methodist church was built in 1842, its centenary celebrated during the second world war. The late Gwen Greenough recalled that people were asked to contribute furnishings; she herself gave the fine wooden altar. The souvenir booklet then noted that ‘the (Upton) churches are well ahead of many localities, because there is a common-sense unity’.

Upton Methodist Church was opened in September 1957 – the premises including a hall and kitchen.

The Spring Line Methodist Church was formed on 1st January 2010 by combining Blewbury and Upton Methodist Churches.

Unfortunately the number of regular worshippers at the Upton Centre dropped, and in spite of support from the Community the Spring Line Church become no longer financially viable. Worship ended at both Blewbury and Upton Methodist Churches (both Centres of the Spring Line Church) at Easter 2013. This decision was taken by the Spring Line members and approved by the Methodist Circuit (South Oxfordshire group of Methodist churches).

Methodist Church News