In attendance:- Chairman Ben Shaw (BS)
Vice Chairman Neil Thorp (NT)
Councillors David Beckles (DB), Brendan Heneghan (BH), Peter McLaughlin (PM)
Clerk Liz Cooper (EC)
District Councillor Hayleigh Gascoigne (HG)
- To receive apologies for absence
County Councillor S Povolotsky, K Humphrey (Nature Garden)
- To record any declarations of interests relating to this meeting
B Shaw – items relating to own property planning consultation & waste collection contract.
- To receive the County Councillor’s report
Received in advance of the meeting & sent to Councillors. In addition, SP asked the Clerk to report the
3.1 A meeting on site regarding the A417 crossing is planned for 24th March.
3.2 Coffin Way – Bridle Way sign off is expected in April, with a public consultation in June (tbc).
3.3 20mph in the village may be towards the end of 2023.
3.4 The cameras that have been installed & then removed in the village without any notice or agreement,
are connected with Didcot Garden Town. Representations have been made, but with no response.
3.5 Upton PC received a copy of a letter from Chilton PC regarding the crossing from Chilton Road
across Hagbourne Hill. NT to produce a similar letter from Upton PC.
3.6 SP stated that ‘off-grid’ of c£200 grants are available.
- To receive District Councillor’s report
Received in advance of the meeting & sent to Councillors.
In response to previous requests for information on expected health care facilities in Great Western
Park, Didcot, HG stated that the Integrated Care Board provide the facilities & the District Council are
not experts & that it is a complex & complicated area. The Parish Council did not accept this
explanation. BS asked as the money sits with the District Council, why can they not start with the basics
(i.e. install car park & portacabins, as had been demonstrated before in the area)? BS, on behalf of the
Council, asked what the Council can do to help? Also, can the monies held be secured & not expire?
Further answers were requested from the District Council via HG.
5. Open Forum
Mr & Mrs Concannon attended the meeting to raise their concerns over the works related to the
installation of the crossing on the A417 between the turnings of Chilton Road & Station Road, & the
effects these actions were having on their home. These included:-
- Toucan crossing – regulations not met (must be 20 metres from a junction)
- Two lights over crossing installed, only one required
- Substantially re-establish severely removed greenery/trees
- Confirm line of sight through junction
- Establish if ‘no beep’ crossing?
Mr Concanon to confirm details in an email to BS.
PM to draft email to local MP.
- To hear an update from the PCC
Provided in advance of the meeting by P Batho as follows:-
6.1 We are very pleased to report good progress on the vestry refurbishment project at St Mary’s. Thanks to the generosity of villages and the confirmation of two outstanding grant applications, we have now reached our funding target and the architect is seeking tenders for the work. The submission date is 5th April. We have still not managed to repair the broken bell rope. Access is the main issue. Many thanks to Neil Thorp for his help and advice. We are currently awaiting a response from the building insurers on whether we can hire equipment and do the job ourselves. The village fete for 2023 is currently in the balance. Several volunteer organisers from previous years are not available this year and the PCC does not have the resources to organise the event by itself. Paul Batho and Rob Traynor are liaising over a campaign to seek a new band of volunteers, especially from people who have moved to the village more recently, to help not just with the fete but with other village events. A leaflet drop is planned to all houses in the village imminently.
6.2 Councillors stated their willingness to help with the Upton Fete. NT to contact P Batho & ask how the
Council can help.
Councillor B Heneghan arrived at 7.30pm.
- To hear an update from a UVHAT representative on village hall operations
No response was received from UVHAT following a request for representation at the meeting & a report.
BS & BH, as Council representatives on UVHAT, stated that a UVHAT meeting due to be held on 22 February was cancelled on the day of the meeting. A new date has not yet been notified.
- To hear an update from the Nature Garden representative
BH, as the Council representative on the Nature Garden group, expressed his unhappiness with the non-
attendance of other Nature Garden representatives at Parish Council meetings. The Council understands
that K Fletcher is no longer the Nature Garden’s representative to the Parish Council.
The following update was received from K Humphrey in advance of the meeting:-
Our update is as follows:
– bulbs planted (November)
– sign installed (December)
– bench stripped, repaired, repainted and reinstalled – many thanks to Ian Wright for arranging Brian
for his time and craftsmanship prepping this, and Rob for help transporting (January)
– overflow cemetery hedging trees tended/ 6 replaced (February)
Plans for spring are as follows:
– water butt installation. Aim is to carry out as part of village hall guttering repairs. UVHAT intend to
hire a workman to complete in the next few weeks (March).
– initial pruning of pome fruit and hedging (March)
– spring prep volunteer day tba tasks in line with annual plan
– assessment of plant health and additional stock required (March)
– prep for additional wildflower seed sowing (March)
We’d like to purchase some wood chip/mulch as a grass suppressant as we’re nearly out of the last batch. I recently had a truckload from a tree surgeon for £20, so not v expensive. We’d also like to buy wildflower seed to ensure we get as good a display as last year (£60).
- To approve the minutes of the Parish Council meetings held on:-
UPC Meeting 17th January 2023
Council unanimously agreed the minutes to be a true record.
10.1 To agree / ratify the council’s response to the following consultations
10.1.1 P23/V0433/HH South Springs, Stream Road, Upton
New car port.
Council agreed no objections to this consultation, with one abstention.
10.1.2 P23/V0475/FUL Horse & Harrow, Main Street, West Hagbourne
Change of use of land to provide residential garden space in association with P22/S3609/FUL.
Council agreed no objections to this consultation, with one abstention.
10.1.3 P22/S3609/FUL Horse & Harrow, Main Street, West Hagbourne
Change of use of public house & build of other dwellings.
UPC unable to return response as refers to P23/V0475/FUL
10.1.4 P23/V0252/FUL Skippets Stables, Dene Hollow, Chilton
Erection of single storey amenity building, together with a 3-bay equine building providing a
treatment centre & secure storage.
UPC agreed no objections & returned 28.02.23
10.1.5 P23/V0257/HH Somerset House, Chilton Road, Upton
Demolition of existing conservatory & screen wall. Erection of to-storey extension to dwelling.
UPC agreed no objections & returned 02.03.23
10.1.6 P22/V2219/FUL Amendment 1 Land between Upton footpath & Upton byway off Hollow Way, Upton
As amplified by LVIA, landscaping scheme etc.
UPC returned objection 14.02.23
It was also noted by Council that HG had successfully amended the site address of the original application, which was incorrect.
10.1.7 P22/V2281/HH amendment no.1, Halt House, 4 Beeching Close, Upton
Two-storey rear extension. Single storey extension with raised entrance ramp etc.
UPC agreed no objections 14.02.23
10.2 To note planning permissions /withdrawals received during the month
10.2.1 P22/V2956/HH Icknield House, Chilton Road, Upton
Planning permission 26.01.23
10.2.2 P22/V2432/HH Conifers, Stream Road, Upton
Planning permission 02.02.23
12. Finance & Administration
12.1 To receive an update UPC Finances
12.1.1 Treasurers Account to 28.02.23 £4947.10
Business Bank Instant Account to 28.02.23 £13,086.81
Total funds available as at 28.02.23 £18,033.91
12.1.2 To hear an update on UPC’s VAT 126 reclaim
Claim totalling £4301.05 sent to HMRC by post 06.03.23
12.2 To agree the authoriser for this month’s payments.
BS & PM
12.3 To approve payments to be made noted spending powers and within budgeted amounts
Council agreed to include a third Krystal Hosting invoice for £9.59 received after the agenda was
|28.02.22/ 28.03.23||Clerk’s salary since last meeting
|Not publicly disclosed|
|14.03.23||Clerk’s expenses [LG(FP)A 1963r5||-£16.40|
|28.02.22/ 28.03.23||HMRC PAYE (Feb £95.60*, Mch TBC) [LGA 1972 s112(2)]||£95.60
|28.02.23 / 28.03.23||Microsoft subscription @£4.50pm* [LGA1972 s111]||£9.00|
|24.02.23||Stationery* (via debit card) [LGA1972 s111]||£13.04|
|27.02.23||Krystal Hosting domain name renewal* (upton-village.co.uk) [LGA 1972 s142]||£9.59|
|20.02.23||Krystal Hosting domain name renewal* (uptonpc.co.uk) [LGA 1972 s142]||£9.59|
|20.02.23||Kingdom Signs* (rec ground entrance) [LGA 1972 s137]||£426.55|
|20.02.23||Kingdom Signs* (play areas) [LGA 1972 s137]||£309.22|
|20.02.23||OALC Course EC [LGA 1972 s111]||£36.00|
|Expenses NT (timber for play area repair) [LG(FP)A 1963 s5]||£36.84|
|06.03.23||Organised Grime* [LGA 1972 s137]||£168.00|
|06.03.23||Broxap 2 x new bins* [LA 1983 s5]||£636.00|
(plus salary above)
|Lloyds Bank||Interest January & February 2023||£12.26|
*All paid to be ratified
12.4 To sign off bank reconciliation to end February.
Provided in advance of the meeting & signed by BS at the meeting
The Chairman left the meeting at 8.15pm & vice-chair Neil Thorp took over proceedings.
12.5 To hear / agree on any other financial or administration updates
12.5.1 2023 Elections update
The Clerk gave an update on the elections pertaining to the Parish Council. The Clerk asked that those who intend to complete nomination papers do so as soon as possible & ensure that their forms are completed correctly. The Clerk will then take all forms to the District Council offices.
12.5.2 Defibrillator status
The Clerk confirmed that the pads & possibly battery needed to be replaced. To speak to S
Robertson who originally donated the defib unit.
12.5.3 Ratify updated UPC Planning Consultation Procedure
Council duly ratified the updated procedure.
12.5.4 Deputy Clerk in Training – Council to finalise / agree job ad & description content
Council formally ratified its decision to recruit a Deputy Clerk (November 2022 Finance
Committee minute 6.2, November 2022 meeting minute 18.104.22.168 iii).
The Clerk explained that the job ad & description produced by Council were not factually
correct & a corrected version explaining this had been issued. Council asked the Clerk to re-
issue these versions to Council for further consideration.
Clerk’s note:- Council subsequently agreed to corrected version of job ad & description, with a
wide pay range. Clerk to proceed to issue job ad as directed by the Chairman.
- To hear any updates on any aspect of the recreation ground play areas
13.1 Adventure play area remedial work / inspections
13.1.1 RoSPA carried out a quarterly inspection of all the play areas, but did not notify the Council in
advance. Clerk to speak to RoSPA. It was also noted that it was subsequently deemed by
Council that it was not necessary to take the slide out of use for minor repairs.
13.1.2 Remedial work to swings – three contractors were approached to quote for the work to
reinstate the swings, with two responding. Final quotes TBC.
13.1.3 It was noted that two new play area signs had been installed on the recreation ground.
13.2 Toddler play area
See 13.1 above. No other issues highlighted.
13.3 Pump track
See 13.1 above. No other issues highlighted.
13.4 The leader of the Amazons Girls Football is to meet with BS on site to discuss arrangements for
- To hear any updates on the maintenance of the recreation ground
14.1 New bin provision
Two new bins had been delivered & would be installed in due course by BS/PM.
Clerk to order ‘no dog waste’ stickers for new bins.
14.2 New bin collection
This was going well with the new contractor, Organised Grime.
14.3 Maintenance activity
14.3.1 Update on the appointment of Scofell
A 12-month contract with Scofell for the management of the recreation ground, cemetery
field & other areas had been signed & commenced on 1st March.
14.4 New signage for the recreation ground
A new sign at the entrance to the recreation ground has been installed.
14.5 Any other updates on the recreation ground
The Amazons girls’ football group were in discussions with BS on behalf of the Council to ensure that the football training could continue. To this end, Council agreed that if the leader of the Amazons organised a portaloo to be installed in an unobtrusive spot on the recreation ground, & that this was kept locked when out of use & was emptied on a regular basis.
- To hear an update on Speed Watch Activities from BH
Speed Watch activities would be organised when all roadworks are complete.
- To hear an update on UPC IT from PM
Three annual Krystal Hosting invoices had been received & paid.
- To hear any update on Risk Management
Compliance, GDPR & any other risk management updates.
No update for this meeting.
- To hear an update on the production & issue of Upton News – NT
Agree content for next edition of Upton News
Council agreed for the following items to be covered in the next edition:-
- Play area update
- Crossing update
- New signage update
- To set the date and venue of the next full council meeting
19.1 The annual meeting of the parish will take place on Wednesday 26th April from 7pm in the Village
19.2 The next full council meeting will be the Annual Parish Council meeting on Wednesday 17th May, or
Wednesday 24th May 2023 at 7.30pm in the meeting room in the village hall. See also 19.3 below.
The Council noted that these dates are election outcome dependent.
19.3 BH put forward a proposal to move UPC meetings to Wednesdays at 7.30pm. This was seconded by
NT & all others in favour. Clerk to organise.
The meeting finished at 8.55pm.
Appendix A – Actions from meetings
|No.||Actions from March Meeting||By when|
|1.||NT to produce letter re Hagbourne Hill crossing||Actioned|
|2.||PM to draft letter to MP re Upton crossing works||ASAP|
|3.||NT to contact P Batho re offer of Council help to organise village fete.||Actioned|
|4.||Clerk to speak to S Robertson re replacement defib pads/battery||Actioned|
|5.||Clerk to speak to RoSPA re notification of inspections||ASAP|
|6.||Clerk to order ‘no dog waste’ stickers for new bins||ASAP|
|7.||Clerk to organise change of meeting dates||Actioned|
|8.||BS/PM to organise installation of new bins||ASAP|
|9.||Clerk to issue Deputy Clerk job ad as appropriate||Actioned|
|No.||Actions from previous meetings||By When|
|7.||BH to speak to B Lott re marquee storage inside UPC garage.||ASAP|
|6.||BH to source fencing quotes for replacement of fence at end of recreation ground||This is postponed until further notice.|
|7.||BS to obtain quotes for chain & post fencing to delineate current overflow parking area.||This is postponed until further notice.|
|8.||BH to produce a specification for a new surface for overflow parking||C’fwd|
|9.||BS to obtain quotes for a new surface in the overflow area (once spec produced)||C’fwd|
|10.||Clerk to email UVHAT re parking considerations||C’fwd|
|17.||BH & PM to arrange the installation of the speed watch signs.||C’fwd until roadworks complete.|
|19.||All to consider IT back-up & future proof options||C’fwd|
|4.||PM to organise fitting of nets to goal posts||C’fwd|
|7.||BS to invite villagers to state what they would like to see from a ‘welcome to the village’ pack.||From November meeting|