Minutes of Meeting 23rd July 2008

UPTON PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of meeting of Upton Parish Council held on

Wednesday 23 July 2008 at 8.00 p.m. in the Village Hall

Present: Mr M Brown (Chairman), Ms B Drew, Mr D Mason, Mr S Norman, Mrs C. Lightfoot (clerk),

Mr R Farrell (part time), Mr C Lamont (part time), PCSO G Kirby (part time).

1. Apologies for absence received and accepted from Mr Dickens (holiday) and Mrs Seelig (holiday).

2. Declarations of Interest

Members are asked to declare any personal interest and the nature of that interest which they may have in any of the items under consideration at this meeting. None recorded

3. 3. Co-option of additional councillor: The chairman welcomed Mr David Mason to the council.

4. Minutes of meeting of Upton Parish Council held on Tuesday, 13th May 2008 and extraordinary meetings held on Thursday 19th June and Monday 30th June 2008, having been previously circulated, were agreed to be a true record and duly signed by the Chairman.

5. Matters Arising

13/11/07 Field at rear of George & Dragon. In Mr Hood’s reply, dated 22/5/08, he suggested we attend a meeting with him, his officers and the Chairman of the Development Control Committee to discuss on-going concerns. Miss Drew and Ms Alexander of the Wessex AONB have subsequently attended such a meeting at the Vale offices. The Vale will look at case histories to see how chattels have been dealt with in other areas. Ms Drew told the meeting that she is awaiting a response from the Vale setting out issues following the meeting. Ms Alexander is hopeful that she can help us and will go through the Vale’s response with Ms Drew.

13/5/08 Draft Vale Sustainable Community Strategy. Miss Drew circulated the draft document for information.

13/5/08 Vale’s response to Thames Water – report by Mr Norman. Due to an oversight this report was not taken but the matter was discussed by the District Councillor.

6. County Councillor’s Report: Mr Lamont reported:

  • the Great Western Park development at Didcot now has the go ahead;
  • Oxfordshire County Council web site now contains Highways fact-sheets;
  • planning applications are in the pipeline for incinerators to deal with much of the counties waste at both Sutton Courtenay and Ardley.

7. District Councillor’s Report: Mr Farrell reported:

  • In a recently issued government report the Vale is only required to accommodate 60 additional houses on top of the 11,500 that it is already expected to provide by 2026;
  • Sir Michael Pitts’ report on Lessons to be Learned from Floods can be seen on the Vale web site. There are 8 recommendations for Local Government which are likely to have a significant impact on the Vale’s finances. The Government is being asked whether they will help with funding, or alternatively agree to raise the cap on Council Tax;
  • SODC and the Vale have agreed to proceed with joint management arrangements. Three councillors from each council will oversee the process;
  • Thames Water Reservoir: the Vale is not convinced by the case which has been made by TW. The Vale’s final response will be made in August.

8. Planning Application UPT/1062/4 – application for erection of a dwelling with garage and erection of a replacement garage at Rowlands, Church Street. Application made by Mr & Mrs E Johnson. The plans were discussed and it was unanimously agreed that the Parish Council should not object. The clerk was asked to request clarification that the land on which the new property is to be built is not agricultural land. Clerk


The following permissions were noted:

UPT/19332/1 – Alterations to Upton Lodge – Permission granted

UPT/20551 – Change of use of land at Scotlands Ash – Permission granted

UPT/3644/1 – Sign of the Crown – permission has been granted, with conditions prohibiting commercial use.

Request to reduce the crowns on Horse Chestnut and Sycamore trees at Corderoys by 20% – permission granted.

UPT/18307/2 1 Beeching Close, permission has been refused. Mr Farrell will investigate the reason for refusal.

9. Villagers’ Forum

PCSO Kirby briefly attended the meeting to hear if there were any concerns. He said that special attention would be paid to monitoring vehicles traveling illegally on the Sustrans track particularly during the school holidays. The Chairman advised that the most appropriate siting for the SID machine is on the A417 and in Chilton Road

10. Parish Transport Representatives Report: no report

11. Reports from Councillors’ on areas of responsibility

i) Roads and Footpaths – Cycle track to Blewbury: Mr Norman reported that a Blewbury landowner has offered land alongside the A417 for a cycle track between Upton and Blewbury, terminating at the boundary of Upton. Mr Norman said this did not seem to be a credible idea. He will seek a further discussion with those involved in Blewbury. SN

ii) Recreation Ground: the Chairman reported that the grass-cutting arrangements for the recreation ground were working well and he thanked those responsible. He said that some maintenance was required on the garage. MB

iii) Playground: the ROSPA inspection is due this month. The Chairman said that help is required to lay the new safety mats. The Chairman stated that he would continue with the cutting of the stinging nettles and would also cut the hedge, B.D. agreed to help. The membership of the Playground Committee needs to be reviewed. MB & BD

iv) Village Hall: The Chairman reported that an £8,750 grant has been made by the County Council. Our application to WREN is through to the second phase. In this area 2 grants will be awarded from 4 applicants. Donations from the village have exceeded the half-way mark, ie over £5k.

v) Planning: see Item 5. Matters Arising and Item 8

vi) Young Parishioners: nothing to report

vii) Communications and other Amenities (Environmental Project). The Chairman said that he has written to the Highways department regarding the installation of gates in Frog Alley. A reply is awaited.

viii) NAG: no report was available following the last NAG meeting.

ix) UKAEA Stakeholders Committee: Ms Drew said that nothing of direct interest to Upton was discussed at the last meeting.

x) Energy Saving Initiative: no further progress to report.

12. Lead Roles for 2008/9: it was agreed that each lead role should be supported by another councillor as follows:

Planning: Ms B Drew/Mr M Brown

Roads & Footpaths: Mr S Norman/Mr M Brown

Recreation & Playground Mr J Dickens/Mrs T Seelig

Youth Mr D Mason/Mrs T Seelig

Communications & Amenities Mr M Brown/Ms B Drew

Energy Saving Initiative Mrs T Seelig/Ms B Drew

Parish Council representation on other bodies was agreed as follows:

UVHAT Mr S Norman

NAG Mr J Dickens

UKAEA Ms B Drew

Other areas where councillors would be expected to give assistance:

Finance Mr S Norman

Transport Mr J Dickens

Village Workforce Mr M Brown with assistance from Mr D. Mason

13. Finance

i) Invoices and payments since last meeting

Wicksteed – safety mats £777.26.

Payment to Public Works Loans – 30 June – £412.91

Hire of Hall for meetings – £88

Milton Garden Machinery – £369

Mr G de Wilde, contribution towards roller for recreation ground and petrol costs for both mowing and rolling- £55

Allianz Insurance- additional premium for mowers and fidelity guarantee – £27.53

Mr M Brown – grass cutting expenses – £82.64
Clerk’s Salary – June & July & postage – £328.24

The above payments were noted and agreed. It was unanimously agreed to make £10 available towards the village tea party for the elderly and housebound planned for 29th July.

ii) Financial transactions since last meeting

Bank interest – May £31.11 & June £33.46

Repayment of VAT claimed end June – £227.72

These receipts were noted.

iii) Charitable Donations

Request has been received from Oxfordshire Association for the Blind. This will be considered along with other requests at the end of the financial year.

14. Correspondence recently received

ORCC – 10/7/08 – County Council Grant Aid for Village Hall Project – grant of £8,750 has been awarded towards village hall extension project. Clerk to write a letter of thanks. Clerk

Oxfordshire CC – 25/6/08 – Application to add bridleway to the definitive map has been unsuccessful. Noted

VWH – 18/7/08 – Housing needs assessment – survey being carried out. Posters advertising this to be displayed.

Vale Chairman’s letter, 10/6/08, requesting visit to village activities. The Vale Chairman will be attending the village tea party.

CPRE AGM – 26/7/07: noted

The following correspondence will be circulated to councillors:

Oxfordshire 2030 Consultation – draft plan for consultation.

Oxfordshire Highways Annual Report:

Oxfordshire County Council, Countryside Service, Annual Report

ORCC Review, Summer 08

15. Date of next meeting. The next meeting has been arranged for 24th September at 8.00 p.m.

There being no further business the Chairman closed the meeting at 9.50 p.m.

Clare Lightfoot, Clerk

Tel: 01235 850486

27th July 2008