Minutes of Meeting 27th January 2010

UPTON PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of

Meeting of Upton Parish Council held on Wednesday 27th January 2010 at 8.00 p.m.

in the Methodist Church

Present: Mr J Dickens (Chairman), Mr M Brown, Mr D Mason, Mr S Norman, Mr G Summers,

Mrs C Lightfoot (clerk), Mr S Lilley (part-time) Mr R Farrell (part-time), PCSO Mr D Williams

1. Apologies received from Mrs Seelig

2. Declarations of Interest

Members are asked to declare any personal interest and the nature of that interest which they may have in any of the items under consideration at this meeting. Any Member arriving after the start of the meeting is asked to declare personal interests as necessary as soon as practicable after their arrival even if the item in question has been considered. None recorded

3. Minutes of meeting of Upton Parish Council held on 25th November 2009 and Extraordinary meeting held on 18th January 2010 having been previously circulated were signed by the Chairman as a true record.

4. Matters Arising

The Parish Council is concerned about the poor visibility in Fieldside due to overhanging foliage.

5. PCSO’s Report

PCSO Dane Williams reported that there had been one incident of criminal damage, ie a wire fence broken down possibly by poachers. He said that a list of vulnerable people is being compiled. It was agreed to find out how the list will be used, then with the agreement of those involved, we will supply a list. Clerk

6. County Councillor’s Report

Mr Lilley reported that the County Council had received criticism over the lack of road salting during the adverse weather. He said that this was due to the Government’s embargo on salt delivery. He suggested that any pot holes which were deemed dangerous be reported to Highways on 0845 3101111.

He noted that there had been inappropriate publicity regarding deployment of Fire Officers. He felt that the upshot would be an improvement at stations which had previously been undermanned.

Mr Lilley noted that the closing date for comments on the Local Transport Plan Consultation 3 (LTP3) had been extended until 21st February, and that the “Your Vale Your Future” exhibition had been rearranged for Thursday 28th January in Harwell Village Hall.

7. District Councillor’s Report

Mr Farrell said the Vale’s budget was out for consultation, inevitably there will be cuts. It was noted that the Oxford Touring Theatre Group’s grant and the Wantage Services Point are under threat. Mr Farrell said that although Youth and the Arts were very dear to his colleagues hearts they were not statutory.

8. Villagers’ Forum – no discussion

9. Village Hall

(i) Progress report: Mr Brown reported that the builders will hand over the hall mid-February, but no lettings will be made until March. Mr Brown suggested that the Parish Council should consider paying for the new wall lights being installed, using the £200 Calor prize money towards the cost. The total invoice is £350 (including £50 VAT which can be reclaimed). This was unanimously agreed by the Parish Council.

Mr Summers reported on UVHAT’s timetable for the opening:

Village viewing, 7th March, 11.00 – 12.30. Coffee will be served

Grand opening , 13th March. Invitations will be sent to supporters of the project. Tickets will also be on sale. This will take the form of supper, entertainment and speeches.

Animal Anecdotes, a fund raising event, is planned for 16th April.

Mr Simpson reported that a 4th payment of £13,000 is due to be paid to ABS Builders in

February. This leaves £2,400 (5% retention) still outstanding.

(ii) Regularization of land ownership: Mr Summers reported that the original idea had been for UVHAT to buy the portion of land belonging to the Parish Council. However, there is a new requirement that each time a new trustee was appointed to UVHAT then the land would have to be re-registered.

Mr Summers proposed “The Parish Council acquires from UVHAT the portion of land owned by UVHAT and the Parish Council grants UVHAT a right to occupy the land at a peppercorn rent”. This was seconded by Mr Mason and all were in favour.

Mr Summers agreed to carry this forward with a representative from UVHAT. GS

It was agreed that consideration be given to UVHAT assuming responsible for the upkeep of the car park.

10. Planning

The following was noted:

UPT/3451/15-CM – Conditional planning permission has been granted to Chilton Waste Services;

UPT/21018 – 4 Fieldside – application has been withdrawn;

Wattle Cottage Farm. A letter has been received from the Vale of the White Horse District Council notifying that a notice of refusal has been issued relating to application for certificate of lawful use;

Fieldside Cottage – the retrospective plans submitted were deemed inaccurate. The matter is in abeyance pending revised plans being submitted.

11. Reports from Councillors on areas of responsibility

i) Roads and Footpaths

Footpath to Blewbury

Cutting of Footpaths

Mr Norman said that both these matters were ongoing. He agreed to give priority to arranging for the footpaths to be cut via Mark Sumner and the Task Team Supervisor. SN/JD

ii) Amenities including Recreation Ground

Mr Brown said that further work on the mounds would progress once the ground had dried out sufficient for the machinery to do the work without cutting up the surrounding area. MB

iii) Young Parishioners including Play Area: Nothing to report

iv) Communications: Nothing to report

v) Volunteer Group:

Mr Brown noted that there are a number of tasks to be carried out once the builders move off site.

vi) N.A.G.: Nothing to report

vii) UKAEA Local Liaison Committee

Mr Brown reported that he had attended the last meeting. He apologised for not circulating the minutes which he assumed had been sent to Tracy. A significant development on the site has been the arrival of a UK office of the European Space Agency which at the moment is in its infancy with only 2 members of staff.

viii) Parish Transport Rep

Mr Summers noted that we are on the list for a new timetable case. The next PTR meeting is scheduled for 12th May.

ix) Energy Saving Initiative

It was noted that there is an article in the latest ORCC bulletin on this topic

x) Community Responders

The clerk noted that she has not as yet received a receipt for the donation to the South Central League of Friends. Mr Brown agreed to investigate. MB

12. Finance

i) Discuss and agree estimates including the setting of Precept for 2010/11

Estimates of the spend likely for the financial year 2010/2011 were presented and agreed. A spreadsheet showing the Council’s predicted financial reserve over the coming 15 months was also presented. If the estimates prove to be as predicted it was shown that in order to complete the next financial year with a reserve of £5000, the precept will need to be maintained at its present level of £7250.

The Chairman formally proposed that the precept is maintained at £7,250, seconded by Mr Norman, all were in favour. Both the estimated budget for 2010 – 2011 and the predicted council Reserves will now be posted on the web. MB

ii) Payments since last meeting

Subscription to Society of Local Council Clerks – £61*

Chilton Waste Services – skip hire – £155*

2nd interim payment to ABS – £26,600 + VAT*

3rd and final payment to ABS – £26,600 + VAT

Public Works Loan repayment – £412.91

Oxfordshire Playing Fields Association – annual subscription – £32

Society of Local Council Clerks – annual subscription – £61

DC Lighting – £299 + VAT

Clerk’s Salary – £311.80

*items have already been paid. The above payments were agreed.

iii) Receipts since last meeting: bank interest November 76p, December £1.07;

Repayment of VAT, for November – £4,013.98

TOE grants – £26,000 (November) & £23,400 (January 2010)

The above receipts were noted.

13. Risk Assessment: Mr Mason proposed that the PC accept the risk assessment (dated October 2009), seconded by Mr Brown, all were in favour. This document will now be posted on the web. MB

It was noted that there are some additions to be made to the asset register. Clerk

14. Litter Pick: the proposed date for the litter pick is 20th March commencing at 9.45 a.m. Mr Brown agreed to organise it. MB

15. Correspondence recently received

i) letter from Stewart Lilly Associates advising of proposed modification to planning application

UPT4960/4 (Maslina);

ii) Your Vale Your Future – additional consultation leaflets;

iii) Appeals received from Home Start; Sue Ryder Care – The Nettlebed Hospice; Oxfordshire Woodland Project; South & Vale Carers;

iv) Oxfordshire Waste Partnership: fly-tipping information pack;

v) Newsletters: Home2School; Fieldwork Dec 2009; Health News Issue 4 2009.

The above correspondence is being circulated.

Clerk was asked to circulate a list of organisations seeking funding from the council for consideration at the next meeting. Clerk

16. Date of next meeting: The next meeting is to be held on Wednesday 24th March 2010.

The Chairman declared the meeting closed at 10.10 p.m.

Clare Lightfoot, Clerk

Tel: 01235 850486

3rd February 2010