Minutes of Meeting 20th March 2012

UPTON PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of a Meeting of Upton Parish Council in the Village Hall on Tuesday 20th March 2012 at 8.00 pm

Present:  Mr J Dickens (Chairman), Mr S Fraser, Mr S Norman, Mr B Shaw, Mrs L Shaw, Mrs C Lightfoot (clerk)
Part time: Councillor S Lilly, Councillor Ms J Shelley, PCSO D Clements

1.   Apologies received from Dr R Lott

2. Declarations of Interest
Members are asked to declare any personal interest and the nature of that interest which they may have in any of the items under consideration at this meeting. Any Member arriving after the start of the meeting is asked to declare personal interests as necessary as soon as practicable after their arrival even if the item in question has been considered. Mr S Fraser declared an interest at item 11.3(i)

3. Minutes of meetings held on 17th January and extraordinary meetings held on 7th February, 23rd February and 13th March having been previously circulated, were agreed to be a true record and signed by the Chairman.

4. Matters arising:
a)   Parish Council Meeting on 17th January
i) Caravan Rally – Action completed
b) Extraordinary meetings held on 7th, 23rd February & 13th March 2012 taken under Agenda Item 8.

5. PCSO’s report
PCSO Clements reported that rural crime had increased.  A PCSO has been assigned to liaise with farmers and mapping had been carried out showing owners of land.  She cited a number of local incidents including poaching, theft from oil tanks and burglaries.

6. County Councillor’s Report
Councillor Lilly said that each county councillor has an area stewardship fund to be allocated to parishes for highway improvements. He also referred to the Big Society Fund which seeks applications for community benefit.  Mr Lilly would like to be kept informed if any such applications are made so that he can endorse these.  Clerk to advise UVHAT of this scheme.         Clerk
He advised that there is a new chain of command evolving with OCC now being responsible for Oxfordshire’s Local Health Watch which is to be the new independent voice and consumer champion for patients, service users, public health and adult social care.

7. District Councillor’s Report
Councillor Shelley reported that she has a small fund allocated which she will divide between the parishes for which she is responsible.  She explained the way forward for implementation of the Interim Housing Supply Policy (see item 8(ix).

8. Planning
i) 11/02791/FUL Torpids:  proposed erection of 2 bay car port, proposed widening of  existing access.  The Vale’s decision is awaited.
ii) 11/02900/FUL Littlecote:  the proposed erection of single and two storey extensions, erection of garage and car port with home office/gym over, has been permitted.
iii) 11/02491/COU Wattle Cottage Farm: change of use from agricultural to recreational land for equine purposes.  Commercial livery yard and ancillary buildings.  The Vale’s decision is awaited.
iv) 11/02936/FUL Upton Lodge: extension and refurbishment of existing garage. Permission has been granted.
v) 12/00180/OUT Maslina: Reading Road.  Outline application for demolition of existing dwelling and erection of 3 dwellings. The Vale’s decision is awaited.
vi) 12/00271/FUL 2 Chuch Street Cottages: proposed oak framed single storey orangery.  The Vale’s decision is awaited
vii) 11/02454/FUL Stream Cottage: proposed inclusion of scrub land as part of the dwellings amenity.  Vale’s decision is awaited.
viii) 12/00331/FUL Shearbarn Cottage: – proposed alterations and extensions. Demolition of existing garage and construction of new garage building with home office.Vale’s decision is awaited.
ix) Update on Interim Housing Supply Policy (IHSP):   District Councillor Shelley reported that the Vale had received 174 responses, of which one related to Upton.  She said that because of the great response the Green Belt and Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) will be excluded from the process.  Screenings will be evaluated on sustainability, affordability and accessibility.
The Vale is requesting comment from the Parish Council by 20th April.
It was agreed to hold an open meeting on Tuesday 3rd April at 7.00 p.m. to discuss the Upton screening.   Mr de Wilde to be invited to attend.  Clerk

9.  Villagers’ Forum – in the absence of parishioners, no forum was held.

10. Reports from Councillors on areas of responsibility
i) Roads and Footpaths:
It was noted that the broken gate on A417 on approach from Blewbury has been repaired.
Footpath Maintenance:  Mr Norman will contact OCC to renegotiate the PC’s contract for  maintaining footpaths.        SN
ii) Amenities including Recreation Ground
§ QEII Field status: following debate it was agreed to retain the present status of the recreation ground, ie Parish Council retains ownership.
§ Dr Lott had circulated information on wooden humps to improve and tidy  the cycle area.  He suggested that funds could be made available from Uptonogood.  This met with the approval of the Council.
§ The gate lock and chain has once again disappeared.  It was suggested that a combination lock be purchased.     Clerk
iii) Young Parishioners including Play Area:
The Chairman noted that the Playground Working Group is still negotiating with a potential  supplier.  A meeting will be held when all the information is to hand.
iv) Village Hall:  the Chairman reported that Mr Brown had project managed the repair of drains with ABS.  Clerk to write to Mr Brown to thank him for his help.   Clerk
v) Communications:  Mr Shaw said that there had been some issues with putting information on to the web.  It was noted that we no longer have jurisdiction over what appears in Upton News.
vi)  Volunteer Group: parishioners are invited to join the Litter Pick on Saturday 24th March commencing at 9.15 a.m.
vii) N.A.G:  Mr John Lightfoot has volunteered to act as NAG representative.  Clerk to write to Mrs Davies, the retiring NAG representative, thanking her for her work over the past 12 years.          Clerk
viii) UKAEA Stakeholders Committee – a comprehensive status report had been prepared by
Dr Whitmell and circulated to councillors in advance of the meeting.
ix) Parish Transport Rep: the next meeting of this forum will be held on 13th April 2012.

11. Finance
i) Invoices for payment since last meeting

i) Clerk’s salary:  Gross £321, less PAYE £80.25 = £240.75
ii) HMRC – quarterly payment of PAYE – £160.50
iii) OALC annual subscription – £110.89 (+VAT)
Payment of the above invoices was agreed.

ii) Receipts since last meeting:
i) Bank interest Jan 39p, Feb  37p
ii) HMRC repayment of VAT: Jan £54.23
Receipts, as stated above, were noted.

iii)
i) Charitable donations
Following discussion the following charitable donations were approved:
£100 – St Mary’s Church (in respect of upkeep of cemetery)
£50   – Air Ambulance
£50 – Vale & South Carers
£50 – Oxfordshire MS Therapy
£50 – Springline Methodist Church
£25 – Chilton Pre-School
£25 – Home Starters
£25 – Oxfordshire Association for the Blind
£25 – Mr Churchman (gratuity for locking recreation ground gates).  This payment is  justified under para 8 of the Local Government Act 1972.

The Chairman will speak to Mrs Sayers to offer financial support for the printing of Upton News.
It was agreed in principle to make a donation towards the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

12. Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Celebrations: Mr Shaw reported that at a meeting of volunteers, held on 10th March, the following ideas were muted:  a flower festival will be organised by Mrs West  over the weekend, with teas in church on the afternoon of Saturday 2nd June.  A bring and share  BBQ to be organised on Sunday 3rd June in the Recreation Ground, with fun dog competitions, children’s races and a family game of rounders.  A big screen will be available in the hall for people  wishing to watch the flotilla on the Thames in London.
This information has been circulated with Upton News by email or hard copy.

13. Correspondence:
(i) Harwell Enterprise Academy – Clerk to forward this information to Upton News with a link   to the web site.         Clerk
(ii) Localism Act and Councillors Code of Conduct: further information from the Vale is awaited.

14.  Date for next meeting
Annual Parish Meeting – Monday 16th April 7.15 for 7.30.
Parish Council – Tuesday 22 May at 8.00 p.m.

Clare Lightfoot, Clerk
Tel:  01235 850486
20th March 2012