Minutes of Meeting 18th July 2016

UPTON PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the Meeting of Upton Parish Council in Upton Village Hall, Monday 18th July 2016 at 8.00 pm

PRESENT:  Mr S Fraser (Chair), Dr R Lott, Mr S Norman, Mr R Traynor, Ms K Marshall,  Mrs A Hoy (Clerk), Cllr S Lilly, Cllr R Waite, PCSO K Jennings and 2 members of the public, plus Hannah Smart from architects West Waddy

  1. Apologies for Absence: Cllr J Shelley
  1. Declarations of Interest

Members are asked to declare any personal interest and the nature of that interest which they may have in any items under consideration at this meeting.  None recorded

  1. Adoption of minutes of meeting(s): the minutes of the extraordinary meeting of 4th May, Annual General Meeting on 16th May and extraordinary meeting of 27th June, having been previously circulated, were agreed to be a true record and were signed by the Chairman
  1. Reports: Cllr Lilly reported that the number of unaccompanied children being cared for by the County had risen from 55 to 100, for whom the County Council had responsibility up to the age of 25 years. There were also approximately 600 neglected or abused children in the care of the County for whom they had a legal obligation.

He noted that a modified 94-bus service had been retained for a further year, after which it would be reviewed and if financially viable, would continue.  There was a new 32A service running from Wantage to Abingdon.  During the eight-week period when Blenheim Hill in Harwell would be closed to allow Taylor Wimpey to install a new drain, being subsidised by the developer, an extra 32S service would go from Harwell to Didcot avoiding Blenheim Hill, running every 15 minutes. Final land acquisitions for the Harwell relief road were being made, with all land owners now consenting to part with the land required and the work was out to tender; it was hoped work would start before Christmas, lasting for 12 months. Not so positive was the situation on Featherbed Lane, where CPOs were still being pursued with non-cooperative owners.  The Chilton slips were being further delayed due to the intervention by the RSPB who had reported a rare bird nesting in adjoining trees; opening was likely to be in September.  He also advised that additional railway tracks were required between Didcot and Oxford, which was currently overcrowded.

Cllr Lilly commented on the letter from Upton regarding average speed through the village, and had spoken to the Traffic Division to ask for speed monitoring, as a result of which 15 people had been stopped in June; he had requested more patrols.  He had also spoken to the school bus authorities and had been assured that the morning bus would still come down Chilton road and that an extra stop may be possible on the Chilton side of the A417.  Cllr Waite asked whether it would be possible to install chicanes similar to those in place in Long Wittenham, but discussion show these were only partially effective.  However, Cllr Lilly stated he wanted a second chicane in Chilton Road, as had been requested by the PC originally; however, there was no money available at present.

Cllr Waite had sent a report, which had been circulatedBoth he and Cllr Shelley were aware of the enforcement notices on The Gate House on London Road (VE16/S19 and VE16/325), about which the owner of the adjoining property had made a strenuous objection as it was being erected 5m nearer his house than agreed.  Target dates were 11 August and 22 September.  He also mentioned a new application that had just been received, not yet circulated to the PC.   He advised that community grants were available from the Vale, but applications would be closing 29th July.  Cllr Waite also mentioned a current problem with the green recycling bins being contaminated with non-recyclables such as nappies, and food waste, as well as fly-tipping, and requested the PC to notify them if any occurrences were observed.

Mr Fraser thanked both Councillors for their reports; he added that Upton Parish Council echoed Harwell PC’s recent comments on the deplorable waste of taxpayers’ money being spent on different consultations to determine the future shape of local government in Oxfordshire.  Both Councillors were in agreement.

PCSO Keith Jennings reported that there was very little reported crime in Upton.  On the question of the high speed of traffic through the village, he promised to try and borrow a SID (speed indicator device) to check speeds.

  1. Public Forum: War memorial on Methodist Church site – Hannah Smart from West Waddy attended the meeting and explained the plans to the PC and two former churchgoers. Ms Smart explained that they had taken advice from the Highways Officer about the existing access, which he did not like because the existing fence blocked the view.  In his opinion it would be safer and give better visibility if moved around the corner.  The design for two 2/3 bed dormer bungalows incorporated enough space between them to allow vehicles to turn inside the perimeter for added safety.  Tree root spread was shown on the diagram; West Waddy’s original proposal had been for a community garden on the space covered by the three existing trees, so the PC’s idea of a memorial garden was a happy coincidence.  The intention was for the three trees and associated land to pass into the control of the PC, although their arboriculturalist would first inspect their condition and carry out any remedial work, after which the PC would be responsible for the maintenance of the trees.  Mr Fraser requested sight of the report on the trees.  The memorial garden itself would incorporate the marble plaques from inside the chapel (to be held in safe keeping during demolition/rebuilding), with added benches for visitors.  Mr Fraser queried the choice of dormers on the plans; Ms Smart advised that nearby properties all had dormers and the new buildings were planned to be below existing ridgelines.  It was agreed that adding dormers to existing local bungalows was a regular event, so it would make sense to incorporate them in the plans.  There should also be a restriction or covenant on the community land shown on the application for outline planning permission.  Ms Smart and the public left the meeting.
  1. Matters arising:

Parish Council Meeting on May 16 (AGM):

  1. Parish Council vacancy: no applications received, repeat in next Upton News
  2. Prospect Road – some potholes filled, remainder marked up: keep reporting to FixMyStreet website.                                                                                                          All
  3. Letter to Stewart Lilly on vehicle speeds on A417 (circulated): PCSO Jennings to follow up.
  4. Downland Transport Campaign Group – update: new timetables had been published and in addition there were notices from the Group on bus stops.
  5. Queen’s 90th birthday celebration: expenses – none of the cake-makers wished to have expenses reimbursed so after discussion it was suggested that the Lightfoots should be asked if a contribution to St Mary’s would be acceptable. Also personal letters of thanks to be written by the Clerk to all those involved.                                               Clerk
  1. Business to be transacted:.
  2. Financial Report to end of June and Budget 2016/17: Mr Norman presented a budget for 2016/17 that after discussion and slight amendment was adopted.  Mr Norman to circulate amended figures.                                                                                               SN
  3. Clerk resignation – vacancy advertised in Upton News/noticeboard: one application received so far. At the end of July a decision would be made when/who to interview.
  4. Chairmanship course – Mr Fraser had been unable to attend July course due to family commitment, OALC advised amount would be credited to PC against future courses.
  5. Replacement of goal posts on recreation ground: Dr Lott reiterated information previously gathered on costs but agreed to do more research.  So far potential costs would appear to be in region of £2.5k for the combination football/rugby posts, and galvanized steel (small) goal posts approximately £170.  Costs would be covered by a donation from Uptonogood?                                                                                       RL
  6. Leaking garage roof – quotes for repair: Dr Lott advised that instead of felt, the roof could also be covered in fiberglass although this might be more expensive. Three quotes were being obtained.  However, the more urgent need was to remove vegetation around the garage, which was causing damp problems; Mr Traynor to organize a volunteer day.                                                                                                                                       RT
  7. Resurfacing of Pump Track – Dr Lott researching solutions RL
  8. Marquee hire – returnable security deposit of £200 to be asked for any new requests, and donations invited to cover maintenance costs. Hirers need to be aware that a minimum of 7 people is required to erect the marquee.
  9. Roles and Responsibilities of Parish Councillors: the list remained unchanged.  Clerk agreed to look after Communications until her departure or a new Councillor recruited.
  1. For noting:                       

Planning:

  • P16/V0553/FUL, Land adjacent and rear of the George and Dragon Reading Road Upton: provision for Travellers site, amendment from three to two sites; decision postponed, now due in September.
  • P16/V1646/FUL – Dean Hollow Chilton: change of use from agricultural to equestrian (circulated).  After discussion, it was unanimously agreed that there were no objections but the following comments should be added to the PC’s response to the Vale:  that the approach road which was already in a poor condition should be made good before any alterations took place, and that should the business cease, the mobile home should be removed as stated in the plans.
  • P14/V2550/FUL – Email from owner of Upton Lodge Cottage reporting breach of planning approval at adjoining property; enforcement officer advised. Mr Fraser in communication with owner of Upton Lodge who was extremely concerned at this flagrant breach of the terms of the planning permission. Clerk to ask Cllr Shelley (also head of Planning) to oversee the enforcement procedure, which could include demolishing the new build and re-erecting it in the correct place as described in the approved plans.                                                                                                            Clerk

Correspondence

  • Came & Co (insurance brokers) – letter advising change of name to Stackhouse Poland and Company number.
  • Change of Editor at Upton News – Brian Rippon advised Lucy Ross taking over.
  • OALC AGM – Clerk attended (report circulated).
  • Email on Consultation on Culham Science Park being used a location for testing driverless vehicles on 12th July (circulated)
  • Application for Clerk’s vacancy – Miss E Cooper

Receipts since last meeting

  • Bank interest, May 14p, Jun 16p

Angela Hoy, Clerk

Tel:  01235 851726

24th July 2016

Appendix A – Schedule of payments

Description

Amount
Parish Plan, Design & Print (Mr R Traynor) 129.00
Clerk’s salary May/Jun @ 149.60 309.20
Public Works Loan 412.91
Churn Benefice – printing Upton News Mar 2015/2016 100.00
   
   
TOTAL £951.11