DRAFT Minutes of the Annual General Meeting 22nd May 2017


DRAFT Minutes of the Annual General Meeting of Upton Parish Council

Upton Village Hall, Monday 22nd May 2017 at 7.30 pm

Present:- Mr S Fraser (Chair/SF), Miss E Cooper (Clerk/EC), Mr Duncan Reid (DR), Mr S Norman (SN), Miss K Marshall (KM), Mr C Pettman (CP)

1.  Apologies for Absence


2.  Election of Chairman

Mr Stuart Fraser was duly re-elected as Chair.

3. Declarations of Interest

Members are asked to declare any personal interest and the nature of that interest which they may have in any items under consideration at this meeting. Members were duly reminded of the consequences of not completing or amending their Declarations (via the agenda and verbally in the meeting).

No declarations of interest were recorded in the meeting.

4. Acceptance of Office – All Members

SF, DR, KM & SN agreed to remain as members of the council and duly completed Declaration of Acceptance of Office forms.

5. Co-opt New Councillor

Mr Carl Pettman was co-opted on to the council as a new member.

EC to check if there are any new councillors courses for CP to attend. ACTION EC

6. Election of Vice-Chairman

Mr S Norman stepped down as vice-chair and the position was taken over by Mr D Reid.

7. Adoption of minutes of previous meetings:-

16th May 2016 (AGM), 26th April 2017 (APM)

The minutes of the 2016 AGM were signed off with no amendments by the chair. EC to email copy of minutes to all. ACTION EC

The signing off of APM minutes was deferred to the July parish council meeting.

8. Public Forum

No members of the public were present.

9. Matters arising:

9.1 Parish Council AGM on 16th May 2016

Regarding outstanding items no. 10.j, resurfacing of pump track, DR to speak to Dr Lott re ideas for alternative surfaces for the resurfacing of the track.  ACTION DR

10. Business to be transacted:

10.1 Ratification of Annual Governance Statement

This was duly completed and signed by the Chair and Clerk. Clerk to add minute ref & hand to SN to arrange internal audit. ACTION EC / SN

10.2 To adopt Aims and Objectives (SF)

These were agreed by all present. EC to send copy to CP & web site. ACTION EC

10.3 To review Risk Assessment (DR). Deferred to July meeting. ACTION DR

10.4 To review Asset Register (DR). Deferred to July meeting. ACTION DR

10.5 To agree Clerk’s salary for FY 2017-18.

The council were asked to consider, accept or reject:-

i. Pension

As the clerk does not meet all of the criteria for auto enrolment, the council are not obliged to contribute towards a pension. The chair issued a letter to EC confirming these details, as required by auto enrolment guidelines. SF to ensure the PC has complied with all guidelines to gain compliance before the deadline of 31st May.

ii.  Overtime (April/May 2017)

Deferred to July meeting. ACTION All

iii. Revision of hours

Deferred to July meeting . ACTION All

 10.6 To accept/reject Adoption of Accounts for 2016-2017

Acceptance of accounts was proposed (DR) & seconded (SN). EC to ensure these are made available on the web site. ACTION EC

10.7 To accept/reject the Schedule of Payments (see Appendix A)

All payments listed were accepted. Clerk to apply for training course and to renew PC insurance at a reduced price of £613.30.  The discounted price is subject to the PC continuing to use the same broker for three years.  ACTION EC

10.8 To discuss potential items of expenditure / project work for 2017/18:-

iii. A discussion was had about the toddler play area and car parking around the village hall

It was agreed that there was no quick solution to this and that is would need to be planned over a number of years in consultation with the village to gain opinions and desire to finance any large scale works. ACTION SF

iii. Consider ‘data capture’ speed sign (c£2500) & other possible traffic calming measures to speeding problems through the village.

The data capture speed sign was considered not practical. CP agreed to speak to the PCSO regarding increased use of speed gun traps in the village & possible other measures. ACTION CP

iv. Increase signage in and around village hall and rec.

To review signage required for the rec and play area.


v. Defibrillator installation & training

DR is looking in to the offer of a defibrillator unit and how it could be installed on the outside of the village hall and the subsequent training that may be required. ACTION DR

11. Planning

11.1 P17/V1145/HH

Corderoys, Pound Lane, Upton. Alterations/extension to existing private dwelling to form new entrance porch & first floor bedroom extension. Roof alterations & new dormer windows in association with loft conversion.

Deadline 26.5.17

The council voted ‘no objections’ to this application.

Clerk’s note:- response actioned by post and online to VoWH 25.5.17.

11.2 P17/V1059/FUL

The Gate House, Reading Road, Upton. Erection of detached garage with accommodation above.

Deadline 2.6.17

The council voted to ‘object’ to this application on the following grounds:-

Over development of the site – size of existing development and size of proposed garage & additional accommodation.

Further detriment to an AONB.

The proposed building appears to be sited on paddock land.  – However if the application is consequently successful, the council agrees the current suggested site of the garage with accommodation above is probably best placed.

12. Correspondence

12.1 Email regarding unauthorised dog training on the rec.

CP agreed to speak to the person in question & clarify their understanding of gaining permission to carry out their dog training activities. ACTION CP

12.2 Request to use the rec for “Static Bike and Classic Car” event in July

The council had no objections.

ACTION SF   To speak to John Lightfoot and confirm PC’s decision.

13. Receipts since last meeting

  • VOWH – precept £4501.50 (April 2017)
  • Lloyds Bank Gross Interest 2016-17 £2.17, compared to the previous year of £2.38 (reduction in interest rates).
  • Bank interest April 41p, May 52p.

14. Date of next AGM

Monday 21st May 2018 7.30pm.

Clerk’s note:- Mike Brown joined the meeting briefly at 9pm to hand over a donation of £25 by cheque to be used towards the printing costs of Upton News.

The meeting closed at 9.45pm.

Liz Cooper, Clerk
Tel:  01235 798038
24th May 2017


Appendix A – Schedule of payments

Description Amount
Training – Clerk’s Year 27th June 2017 £43.00
Clerk’s pay £187.59
Parish council Insurance £613.30
TOTAL                    £843.89