Minutes of the virtual meeting of Upton Parish Council held on Thursday 23rd July 2020.

Attendees:- Cllrs B Shaw (Chair/BS), P McLaughlin (PM), D Beckles (DB), Miss E Cooper (Clerk/EC)

 

  1. Apologies for absence

Cllr B Heneghan was not present.

County Councillor M Fox-Davies & District Councillors S Medley apologised in advance.

 

  1. Declarations of interest in the items on the agenda

None declared.

 

  1. Approve the minutes of the following meetings & note any matters arising: –

UPC 21.05.20

UPCX 09.06.20

Council voted unanimously to accept both sets of minutes.

 

  1. Report from the County Councillor

Received in advance of the meeting and at Appendix A below.

 

  1. Report from the District Councillor

Received in advance of the meeting and at Appendix B below.

 

  1. Representations from the public

None present.

 

  1. Update on the community response to the Coronavirus & it’s impact on the village

No update was made available for the meeting.

The re-opening of play areas was covered later in the agenda.

 

  1. To report on outstanding actions carried forward from previous

meetings:-

 

No. Action Points from this Meeting When By
1 Clerk to action storage/recycling/destroying of UPC held physical documents at the earliest opportunity. TBA
2 PM to issue draft ground plan of new toddler play area. Actioned
3 Clerk to contact JR re historic documentation hall for village hall & progress on village ‘welcome pack’. September meeting
4 Clerk to investigate potential costs of additional bins/black bags for collection of rubbish left on the rec. Actioned
5 Clerk to provide details of contractors for new toddler play area grounds work.

BS to arrange site visits as appropriate.

Actioned

 

Pre Sept meeting

6 BS to contact GDeW re ground work in old toddler play area. ASAP
7 BS to speak to volunteer group for reinstatement of regular play area inspections. ASAP
No. Action Points from May Meeting When by
3 BS to start formulation of requirements for 5-year plan consultation Actioned.
No. Action Points from March Meeting When by
2. Clerk to look at adding Emergency Measures to the SOs. Ongoing
9. BH to write para for Upton News for volunteers for Speedwatch.

               BH to confirm if actioned ASAP.

O/S
 No. Action Points from previous meetings When by
1. BH to speak to Bob Lott regarding the pump track resurfacing & costs.       BH to confirm if actioned ASAP. C’fwd from March
2. BH to contact Cllr H Gascoigne for an update on tree records held by the DC.    BH to confirm if actioned ASAP O/S

  

  1. To ratify or agree the council’s response to the following planning applications:-

9.1 P19/V3305/HH Amendment no.2, Vale House, High Street Upton

Bat emergence & re-entry surveys 26.06.20. Email sent Planning 15.7.20 as no paperwork

details nor deadline received. In an email dated 23.7.20, Planning confirmed that no

response was required from Council to this application.

 

  1. Update on UPC Finances and Administration

10.1 Update on Lloyds bank account matters

Clerk had recently confirmed to council that Lloyds had accepted recent mandate & sent

out online banking instructions for new signatories. Lloyds had also confirmed a total of

£210 in compensation for their poor service over the past 12 months.

10.2 Other financial or administration updates

The clerk confirmed that CPF money had also been received in to the account on

8.7.20 of £1875. This fund is to help pay for ground work for the new toddler play area.

10.3 Agree the payments detailed in the table below.

Council unanimously agreed to all payments. BS proposed & council agreed that the

salary budget be increased by 10% with immediate effect, as pay agreements were still

pending.

 

Date

Payee

£

28.06.20, 28.07.20 Clerk’s salary SO

[LGA1972 s112(2)]

Not publicly disclosed
23.07.20 Clerk’s expenses [LGA1972 s112(2)] £79.59
June, July HMRC PAYE SO £44.80pm [LGA1972 s142] £89.60
19.06.20, 19.07.20 Microsoft Office365 June & July DD @£3.80pm

[LGA1972 s111

£7.60
30.06.20 A Hamey – Garage doors fitting

[LGA1882 s8(1)(1)]

£400.00
13.07.20 Kalehurst full service [LGA1972 s137] £179.00
  TOTAL  £755.79 + Clerk’s salary SO above +*

 

10.4   Receipts

Bank interest June .52p, July .57p

10.5  To sign off bank reconciliation to date

Provided in advance of the meeting. To be physically signed at a later date

10.6   Agree a storage policy for council records

The council unanimously agreed the following:-

10.6.1 Historic records

UPC historic records should be sent to the Oxford Historic Centre (OHC) as

soon as practicable.

10.6.2 Planning records

All paper planning records held should be recycled/destroyed as appropriate at

the earliest opportunity. Clerk to gain permission to access the meeting room of

the village hall. DB offered to assist in this task.

 

10.6.3 Other information held

To remove to OHC, keep, recycle or destroy any other information held in

accordance with OALCs list of documents.

 

  1. Update on the recreation ground Play Areas

11.1 Toddler play area (old)

– risk assessment

– inspection

– remedial work

– signage

– ground clearance / mowing

– official re-opening

BS to open discussions with the volunteer group regarding the grounds work required in this

area, before inspections and risk assessments can be carried out. Play area to remain

closed until further notice.

11.2 Adventure play area

– risk assessment

– inspection

– remedial work

– signage

– official re-opening

An initial inspection was carried out on 23.7.20. PM to action minor repairs identified. When

these are complete, a risk assessment and further inspection are required. New  signage was on order and the play area would be officially re-opened as soon as possible.

BS also speak to volunteer group regarding reinstatement of regular inspections.

 

  1. Update on the maintenance of the recreation ground

12.1 Grounds maintenance

Grounds maintenance of the main recreation area was ongoing. Consideration was also

given to the closing of the gate at night to prevent unsocial use of the rec after dark. BS

proposed closure at 9pm and reopening at 7am and volunteered to be ‘gatekeeper’. Formal

notification will be made via Upton News in due course.

12.2 Replacement fence

The council has to date met with one contractor to inspect the area and give guidance on

the best replacement fencing with a guide price of £5k (for fencing alone). Installation & tree

work is also required.

12.3 Litter / bins

A discussion took place as to whether to provide more bins and/or black bags for collection

of rubbish left on the rec. Clerk to investigate potential costs.

 

  1. Update on the ‘rec regeneration plan’

13.1 Toddler play area (new)

PM to issue draft ground plan of new toddler play area. BS to look at contractors for

ground work. Clerk to supply contractor details.

13.2 Pump track

Any planned works on hold pending further investigation in to upkeep costs.

13.3 Grounds maintenance contractor

Any additional help from outside contractors on hold pending talks with the volunteer group.

13.4 Any other areas requiring attention within the recreation area

All areas covered.

 

  1. Update on car park extension project

This project has been on hold during the pandemic. However, further investigation work is

planned as to how many spaces could be gained from an extension & in what area, together

with cost estimates. This, together with play areas plans will be in a village-wide

questionnaire, currently being devised, for all to have their say.

 

  1. Update on UPC IT

15.1 Village web site

PM to change ‘Contact Us’ element as this is currently going nowhere, also to introduce an

auto response.

15.2 Any other IT related update

None.

 

  1. Update on proposed Speed Watch activity in Upton

In the absence of BH no update was given.

Clerk confirmed that Blewbury Parish Council had purchased necessary equipment and

installed TVP speedwatch area signs at the entrance to the village. To confirm costs of TVP

signs to council.

 

  1. Update on information gathered on the history of the rec & village hall

& any subsequent actions required

No update was given. Clerk to contact JR.

 

  1. Discuss any required plan of action to:-

18.1 Create a new five-year parish council plan

BS confirmed that the first draft of this plan was nearing completion & would be sent to

council for comment ASAP.

18.2 Revise the existing Parish Plan (last 2015/16)

This will be under consideration following the completion of the five-year plan and village-

wide consultation.

 

The meeting concluded at 9pm.

 

Date of next meeting:-

 

Thursday 17th September 2020 at 7.30pm via an e-conference system 

 

 

Appendix A

 

REPORT TO UPTON PARISH COUNCIL JULY 2020

FROM CLLR MIKE FOX-DAVIES

Over the past few weeks, we have been able to support the gradual easing of lockdown restrictions. This has meant residents have been able to visit their household waste recycling centres, schools have been able to accept more pupils, and town centres and high streets have been able to reopen.

On 4 July much of the hospitality, culture and leisure sector will restart, albeit with social distancing in place. This will bring more challenges for many of our services. However planning for this is already well underway and we are confident we will be able to support this next phase of recovery.

Libraries and registration offices

We will be gradually reopening our libraries and registration offices during the coming weeks and months. We are planning a phased approach to the reopening of public buildings, with every precaution being taken to make sure this happens safely for our staff who will work in them and members of the public who visit them.

Safety measures to support shoppers

A host of safety measures are in place across Oxfordshire as non-essential shops continue to reopen safely. Government advice requires shops to display a poster in their entrance confirming they have read and implemented its “Five Steps to Safer Working Together”. This includes carrying out a COVID-19 risk assessment and taking all reasonable steps to maintain a two-metre distance in the workplace.

In the public realm, people will notice signage to remind them to socially distance and changes such as increased pavement space and one-way systems for pedestrians on narrow streets. We have been working closely with Oxfordshire’s five district councils and the city council to facilitate changes the to road network to help support our town centres to thrive once again.

Oxfordshire County Council signs agreement for £218m with Homes England

This sum of £218m (towards infrastructure costs of £234m) will deliver:

  • Widening the A4130 from A34 Milton Interchange towards Didcot from single to dual

carriageway;

  • A new Science Bridge over the A4130, Great Western Railway Line and Milton Road

into the former Didcot A Power Station site;

  • A new Didcot to Culham bridge between the A4130 and A415; and
  • A Clifton Hampden bypass

The new infrastructure not only provides opportunities for sustainable travel along the new routes but enables traffic demand management measures to be implemented elsewhere to prioritise non-motorised traffic, where appropriate. Active travel by walking and cycling has been carefully planned into the schemes and each provides new opportunities to connect areas of employment and housing for those on foot and bike using existing public rights of way.

Priority Fund

I confirm we have processed Upton Parish Council’s Councillor Priority Fund

application regarding the activity Re-siting & re-fitting of toddler play area and

decommissioning of old toddler play area.

I confirm the amount being paid is £1,875.00

 

Appendix B

 

Upton Parish Council – Thursday 23rd July 2020

Report from District Councillors

Cllr Hayleigh Gascoigne and Cllr Sarah Medley

It is still hard to believe how much things have changed in the past four months. Just as we had started to adapt to lockdown life, it seems that the Government are now easing the restrictions at pace. As we try and adapt to the “new normal”, we hope that you and your families are keeping well, staying safe and taking on the changing

situation at a pace which suits you. We’re now looking ahead at a summer period without the usual village events that we all so enjoy – last year’s Upton Village Fete already seems like a distant memory! However, we hope that Upton residents are still able to make the most of the sunny weather over the next few months, by spending quality time with family and friends in a socially distant way. As the council itself is now also returning to a new kind of normal, we’ve decided to stop our regular coronavirus – focused updates and return to our monthly updates in the form of newsletter articles and parish council reports. We will of course continue to keep you updated on the council’s response to COVID-19 through these monthly updates,

as well as on our dedicated councillor Facebook Page: Cllrs Hayleigh Gascoigne & Sarah Medley. As always, please do not hesitate to get in touch with any issues or concerns – our email addresses are

hayleigh.gascoigne@whitehorsedc.gov.uk and sarah.medley@whitehorsedc.gov.uk.

Coronavirus Update and Community Support

Key messages from the Vale

Residents:

  • We’re all responsible for preventing local outbreaks and keeping Oxfordshire safe
  • Don’t let the virus spread – keep your distance, wash your hands, stay alert
  • Our safety is in our own hands
  • Lockdown may be easing, but don’t go easy on the virus
  • We’re at Alert Level 3, which means a COVID-19 epidemic is in general circulation

Businesses:

  • Businesses play an important role in keeping their staff and customers safe and helping prevent the spread

of the virus.

  • We’re all responsible for preventing local outbreaks and keeping Oxfordshire safe.
  • We’re at Alert Level 3, which means a COVID-19 epidemic is in general circulation.

Community Hub still available

To contact the Community Support Team call: 01235 422 600

email: communitysupport@southandvale.gov.uk

Lines are open 9am to 6pm Monday to Saturday.

Both the council staff and community groups have responded positively to the challenges of this crisis to make sure our vulnerable residents receive the support they need. Amazing work is being done by the volunteer groups in our communities, including Upton, as well as the staff at the Vale who have done what they always do, which is pull together, be solution focussed and support each other. Whilst we don’t know how long the UK’s response to and recovery from COVID-19 will take, we do know it’s likely to be some time so the Vale of White Horse District Council is making some changes to its community hub services to make sure the response is sustainable over the coming months: Lines will now be open from Monday to Saturday, 9am to 6pm.