Upton Parish Council Minutes July 2021

Upton Parish Council

Minutes of the meeting of Upton Parish Council held at 7.30pm on Thursday 15th July 2021 in the village hall.

In attendance:-  Cllrs B Shaw (Chairman/BS), D Beckles (DB), P McLaughlin (PM), B Heneghan (BH). E Cooper (Clerk/EC). District Cllr S Medley (SM). PCSO G Kirby. Mr K Humphrey.

1. To note or receive apologies for absence

County Cllr S Povolotsky, Jacqui Reid.

2. To note any declarations of interest in the items on the agenda

None.

3. To approve the minutes of the following meeting & note any matters arising: –

UPCX   02.06.21

Council unanimously agreed these to be a true record.

4. To hear a report from the County Councillor

Provided in advance of the meeting & at Appendix A below.

5. To hear a report from the District Councillor

Provided in advance of the meeting & at Appendix B below.

6. To hear a report from the PCSO

PCSO Kirby reported that there is a very low level of crime in this area & no incidents of

note for Upton in particular. A new Rural Crime group is being set up for the wider area.

7. To hear representations from the public

Kieron Humphrey attended on behalf of the Upton Nature Group. See further information at 14.

below. KH also talked about the need for a new fence around the cemetery field. To provide

formal proposal & timescales for this fence development.

8. To report on outstanding actions carried forward from previous meetings: –

No. Actions from July Meeting By when
1. Clerk to speak to OALC re legal advice on volunteer form. Next meet
2. BS to speak to alternative contractor re. play area mound ASAP
3. BS to obtain 3 quotes for providing a suitable fence around the new toddler play area. Next meet
4. Clerk to look at placing order for new zip wire seat ASAP
5. BS to speak to Kompan re their last inspection report & quote for zip wire ‘seat’. ASAP
6. BS to check rec ground maintenance volunteer rota & responsibilities ASAP
7. KH to report back to council on recommendations for the two benches in situ in the nature garden area. ASAP
8. KH to provide formal proposal & timescales for fence development around the new cemetery area. Next meet
9. BS to provide tree work quote to all for consideration. Next meet
10. BS to speak to re tree maintenance on rec that may be affecting property. Next meet
11. Clerk to check if any trees are included on insurance policy. Actioned
12. Clerk to complete CPF form & return to SP ASAP
13. NT to compile draft for next Upton News online & forward to PM ASAP
No. Actions from previous meetings By when
2. Clerk to check ToR from Upton Nature Volunteer Group Ongoing
3. JR to write letter confirming UVHAT 5-year rolling underwriting for nature garden maintenance. Clerk to remind JR. O/S
6. BS to issue rota forms ASAP
8. Clerk to work on web site update protocols with PMcL & complete procedural documents for web site Ongoing
9. Clerk to confirm ICO membership ASAP

9. To ratify or agree the council’s response to the following planning applications: –

9.1  To agree:-

None outstanding.

9.2  To ratify:-

9.2.1 OCC ref. MW.0072/21

Chilton recycling facility extension to 31.12.2032

Deadline 24.6.21

UPC no objections 25.06.21

9.3  To note planning permissions/withdrawals received since the last meeting:-

P21/V1186/FUL Skippetts Stables, Dene Hollow, Chilton planning permission1.7.21

P21/V1150/FUL Land to the west of Main Street, West Hagbourne application

withdrawn 29.5.21.

10. To hear an update from the UVHAT representative

Update provided by email & distributed prior to the meeting.

11. To receive an update on UPC Finances and Administration

11.1 To hear an update on the budget for 2021/22

A full update of the budget is in progress.

11.2 To hear an update on Lloyds Bank: –

As at 8.7.21 Treasurer’s Account £1793.72

As at 8.7.21 Business Bank Account £13,072.79

Clerk had contacted Lloyds complaints department regarding a mandate form which had

not yet been received. Lloyds agreed £35 compensation.

11.3  Receipts

Bank interest June 11p, July 11p

NFU Mutual refund (mower insurance) £122.89

11.4 To sign off bank reconciliation to date

Provided in advance of the meeting. Signed at meeting.

11.5 To hear any other financial or administration updates

11.5.1 Correction of VAT reclaim errors

Clerk to seek further advice on procedure.

11.5.2 To ratify the decision made by email to donate £100 towards BBQ meats

(& meat free alternatives) for the Upton summer fete.

Council unanimously agreed. Clerk to contact P. Batho.

11.5.3 To discuss & agree on this year’s Councillor Priority Fund application

Council unanimously agreed to use any funds awarded towards the

Nature Garden.

11.6 To agree the following payments. Pre-loaded to bank. PM to authorise: –

 

Date Payee £
28.06.21,

28.07.21

Clerk’s salary SO

Inc. additional hours (6 (June), (July tba) as agreed. [LGA1972 s112(2)]

Not publicly disclosed
09.07.21 Clerk’s expenses [LG(FPA)1963s5] £59.19
June/July HMRC PAYE SO (£83.40 June, £83.40 tbc July) £166.80
29.06.20, 29.07.21 Microsoft Office365 June/July DD @£3.80pm

[LGA1972 s111]

£7.60
16.07.21 G De Wilde expenses [HA1980 s96]                                             £42.84
16.07.21 OALC Experienced Councillor course (BH) [LGA1972 s111]               £60.00
16.07.21 S Fraser expenses [HA1980 s96] £49.58
16.07.21 P McLaughlin expenses [LG(FP)A 1963 s5]               £57.78
16.07.21 Sustrans – 2 x benches refurb work [PCA 1957 ss1(1) & 7] £610.00
TOTAL        £1063.79

+ Clerk’s salary above

12. To hear an update on the recreation ground Play Areas

12.1 Toddler play area

To consider the installation of a fence/demarcation around the new play area

Council agreed that ideally the new play area should have a fence of some sort around

the perimeter. BS to source 3 quotes.

To consider the installation of a bench in this financial year & consider

requirements for future years.

BS highlighted the availability of more plastic, eco friendly, low maintenance benches.

BS to provide one in memory of his mother. Further consideration may then be given to

others.

12.2 Adventure play area

New zip wire seat required.

The original suppliers, Kompan, can only supply the seat & complete housing to the zip

wire. DB had sourced a seat alone. Clerk to confirm & order.

12.3 Pump Track

Refurbishments under consideration. Clerk to check last inspection report.

12.4 To discuss Kompan’s inspection report in light of their ‘likelihood vs severity’

sheet.

BS to speak to Kompan regarding the inspection report, what work may be required

now & the zip wire seat.

13. To hear an update on the maintenance of the recreation ground

13.1 Current maintenance of grounds

The volunteer grounds maintenance group are keeping the grass cut. The group have

also been asked to keep the nettles down in and around the play areas.

13.2 Current volunteer situation

To agree the final version of the Upton Parish Council Volunteer Form

13.2.1 Clerk to obtain advice on form before final version signed off.

13.2.2 BS to check on rota situation & actions of volunteer group.

13.3  Replacement fence

Deferred to the next financial year.

14. To hear an update from BH/KH on the Upton Nature Garden Volunteer Group

Funding had not yet been awarded by TOE, but had been reduced to £4k. It is planned to plant

a natural barrier fence around the existing fence. BH requested that hawthorn not be used in

the fence – this can be used elsewhere. KH to provide a full proposal & timescales prior to the

September meeting.

KH to report back on situation with existing benches in nature garden area. The Council

understood these would remain in situ. KH stated intention to move them, but council

questioned the necessity of this.

KH also reported that vole & worms had returned to this area.

Planting is scheduled to start on October.

A cheque for £500 was handed to the Clerk for nature garden reserves.

15. To hear any update from PMcL on UPC IT

PM is working on process for updating web site with Clerk.

16. To agree the content of the next council update for the online Upton News

NT agreed to put together an update for submission in the coming week.

  1. To agree the date of the next meeting(s)

Next full council meeting Thursday 16th September & 25th November 2021, both at

7.30pm. Venue TBC (note main hall booked by other party).

Clerk’s note:- Amended meeting dates sent to council for consideration.

The meeting finished at 10pm.

Appendix A

OCC news: Cllr Sally Povolotsky

I discussed in my first briefing some of the committees I am on, and also I have been added to the Adoption Panel and we have our first locality group meeting in July. I am also assisting the Cabinet member for Climate and Environment on future strategy and several concepts, schemes and priority areas in which I have knowledge and experience. I look forward to sharing this!

Hendreds & Harwell Youth Assembly was inspiring, young people are the key to out recovery in every possible way. I hope to organise another in August, outdoors (hopefully at Chilton or Blewbury) and will publish details accordingly.

News items and newsletters – I have several requests for items for newsletters, and I am hoping we can keep news regular and current, and as a new administration move matters along faster than ever. Being aware of the speed and so things don’t end up ‘old hat’, can I ask that a simple publishing of the below is in each of your publications and you then save vital space for far more exciting community news!

Oxfordshire County Councillor – Councillor Sally Povolotsky (Hendreds & Harwell Division) Hello Residents, making more changes, in order not to fill up your fantastic newsletters and bulletins with my ramblings, please find everything you need on my channels below. I am always around, approachable and here to listen, just reach out! Take care and Stay Safe, Sally. Find Latest News and Information online here – https://hendredsandharwell.mycouncillor.org.uk Find Daily updates / news and events on Facebook here – @sally4hendredsandharwell Share your community news on our new GROUP on Facebook – SEARCH – Hendreds & Harwell Community Official – where we can share events / news and ideas together You can whats app / call me on – 07939 912997 You can email me on – sally.povolotsky@oxfordshire.gov.uk

Councillor Priority Fund now open: Applications to the Councillor Priority Fund are now open. This is a fund of £15,000 to be used over two years on projects in Hendreds & Harwell division. My approach to using this fund will be to encourage applications early and spend the money as soon as possible. I see no point in eking out the fund over two years when it can be doing good in the community now. Sadly this used to be annual, but the previous budget approval has meant a change in priority funding, we hope this will change at the next budget and I have made my thoughts clear about the importance of this for grass roots organisations and groups to the Cabinet Member for Finance. I am pleased to have awarded EWHCC £1500 towards a youth engagement piece to encourage girls and women into cricket which builds on their All Stars and Dynamos success – please see website for more details.

PUBLIC HEALTH / COVID Over the past few weeks, we have been keeping a very close eye on increases in new COVID-19 cases, particularly in relation to the Delta variant. In the seven days up to 18 June, there has been a total of 422 confirmed new cases in Oxfordshire, which is an increase of 49 per cent compared with the previous week. This is equivalent to a weekly rate of 61 per 100,000 residents. The sharpest increases continue to be in Oxford City and South Oxfordshire, where the weekly rates currently stand at 78.1 and 71.8 respectively. Across the county, 18 to 29-year-olds account for approximately 50 per cent of all new cases. To help address this rise in cases and enable people to access vaccination services more easily, we have developed a five-point plan for Oxfordshire, which is being implemented by local authority and health partners with the support of volunteers. This plan will see us: 1. Target areas in Oxford City and South Oxfordshire where cases are rising rapidly 2. Target younger age cohorts, particularly those aged 18 to 24 3. Use pop-up clinics in key locations to encourage greater levels of uptake 4. Use our vaccine supply as effectively as we can, for example by moving available vaccine to areas where we know it is needed and by offering a mixture of booked appointments and walk-in slots to maximise usage 5. Encourage take-up of the vaccine through a concerted communications push. As part of this action plan, we will be doing the following: · Increasing our vaccine supply to local vaccination sites in Didcot · Holding ‘Super Saturday’ events at the Leys Health Centre in Oxford, with increased numbers of slots available on Saturday 26 June and Saturday 3 July for those who have booked appointments and for walk-ins · Running pop-up vaccination clinics at venues in Oxford Brookes University and Oxford University, starting from today (23 June) · Running pop-up clinics at large employers who have a younger age workforce, starting from 5 July · Running mobile vaccination clinics using our Health on the Move van, starting from 5 July – the schedule for which will be confirmed shortly. We will be working with the local authority outreach teams, the universities and local employers to raise awareness of these additional clinics, and we will be supplementing this with direct messaging via social media, advertising and leaflet drops. How can you help? We would be very grateful for your help in continuing to promote the benefits of vaccination and encouraging everyone aged 18 and over to get vaccinated. This includes the importance of people having a second dose to maximise protection from the virus and to stop the spread. The first dose of the vaccine will give some notable protection two weeks after people have had it, while you need two doses for stronger and longer-lasting protection. So please do encourage your constituents to take up their invitation for a second dose. If you hear of anyone struggling to book an appointment through the national booking service, then please do encourage them to try again. With eligibility for the vaccine now extended to everyone aged 18 and over, we know the booking system is very busy. But more appointments are being made available on a regular basis and so people should keep trying. Thank you for your continued support with the vaccination programme, which is playing such a critical role in keeping our communities safe.

Highways • REMINDER – State of Highways: I have also had allot of emails around the state of our roads and will be promoting Fix My Street as the first point of call, and also for Parishes to really get behind logging issues on the app / desktop page and even looking for ‘Super Users’ – Harwell has just got its first Super User – I encourage all Parishes to find their Super User and start logging the issues.

 

 

 

Appendix B

Monday 12th July 2021 Monthly Parish Update Vale of White Horse District Councillors Cllr Hayleigh Gascoigne and Cllr Sarah Medley

Hello from Hayleigh & Sarah

Hello! This month we’d like to highlight the great news that more council-owned leisure facilities are now opening up, including the Abbey Meadow outdoor pool in Abingdon, and plans for the Beacon in Wantage to open in September – more details below. The café at the Cornerstone Arts Centre in Didcot has also recently opened, with a lovely new menu of tasty bagels and delicious cakes – well worth a visit if you’re out and about in Didcot over the summer. Although lockdown restrictions are lifting on 19th July, COVID-19 cases are increasing at a significant rate, with Oxford city now one of the top ten COVID-19 hotspots in the whole country. We strongly encourage residents to continue to follow the hands – face – space – fresh air guidance, to protect yourselves and others, in addition to regular testing and getting both vaccine doses. We will use these monthly updates to keep you updated on our activities, general council news and any COVID-19 developments,. We also post regularly on our councillor Facebook Page: Cllrs Hayleigh Gascoigne & Sarah Medley – please do not hesitate to get in touch with any issues or concerns, either via Facebook message or email: hayleigh.gascoigne@whitehorsedc.gov.uk and sarah.medley@whitehorsedc.gov.uk.   

COVID-19 Support Community Support Hub – self-isolation support available With Covid case numbers increasing more people are finding themselves having to self-isolate as a result of a positive diagnosis or close contact with someone who has tested positive. It’s so important to selfisolate in either scenario to help stop the spread, but we know this is difficult for people and it’s tempting to just pop out to get the shopping or run an errand. That’s where the community hub comes in – we’re continuing to help link residents up to food support, either by signposting to help organising shopping, arranging for a click and collect shopping order to be collected or getting an emergency food parcel out. Residents may even be eligible for financial assistance if they risk losing earnings because they’ve had to self-isolate – click here for more information on financial support. To contact the Community Support Team: call: 01235 422 600 Monday to Thursday 8.30-5pm and Fridays 8.30-4.30pm email: communitysupport@southandvale.gov.uk fill in an online form at: www.whitehorsedc.gov.uk/communityhub Remember, for the most up-to-date coronavirus information relating to district council support and any changes to services, please take a look at the dedicated Vale webpage for updates: www.whitehorsedc.gov.uk/covid19 Residents can also contact  Citizens Advice – 0808 278 7907  Vale Community Impact – 01235 765348 Vale of White Horse District Councillors Parish Update 12.07.2021 hayleigh.gascoigne@whitehorsedc.gov.uk

Cases Data

Oxford City’s cases are now firmly in the top ten in the entire country and the highest in the south-east. The City and County councils are calling on all 18-29 year olds in Oxford to take a PCR test at one of the many centres set up around the city. Click here for more information on the COVID-19 situation in Oxford. Remember that the latest figures are updated on the county council’s interactive dashboard on a daily basis.

Local News Valley Park Update

We (Hayleigh and Sarah) continue to meet regularly with the Planning officers at the council to stay up-todate with the progress of Valley Park. It is very clear that the application will not come back to planning committee for further consideration until all of the reasons for deferral back in February have been addressed. One of the main reasons for deferral was the proposed roundabout design, and the issue with it prioritising car users over all other modes of transport. The developers have since issued a new design with traffic light-controlled crossings closer to the junctions of the roundabout, which is a step in the right direction. Our latest meeting with Vale planning officers, county highways officers and our new county councillor Sally Povolotsky was also attended by the county council cabinet members for Highways and the Environment. They are now fully briefed on the situation with the Valley Park roundabout and it is very encouraging that the senior leadership of the new county council administration are taking an active interest in this key issue for Valley Park. Another key area to be addressed was the lack of healthcare provision at Valley Park. The good news is that the Oxfordshire Clinical Commissioning Group are now engaging with the developers and have requested the following:  £2.841m from the Valley Park development is secured towards the proposed GWP healthcare centre; and,  Should the GWP healthcare centre not proceed, £3.261m is secured from the Valley Park development which will enable OCCG to secure land elsewhere and build a healthcare centre or extend an existing health centre; or,  0.25 Ha Land is provided at Valley Park for a new GP health centre at nil cost and £2.841 m capital is provided towards its construction. This information will be published on the planning application webpage shortly, and a response is awaited from the developers as to whether they will agree to this request.

Abbey Meadow outdoor pool reopened Great news for families and swimmers in the Vale – the Abbey Meadow outdoor pool in Abingdon reopened on Monday 12 July in plenty of time for the summer holidays. Click here for the full news article about the Abbey Meadow pool opening. The Beacon to open again to the public Vale of White Horse District Council is pleased to announce that it plans to open The Beacon arts and community centre in Wantage to the public again from 6 September. Click here for the full news article about the Beacon opening. For more information you can also visit The Beacon website or call the centre on 01235 763456. Extra funding for Didcot Garden Town Vale of White Horse and South Oxfordshire District Councils are to receive £405,000 of government funding to help continue work on three garden community projects, including £125,000 for Didcot Garden Town. Click here for the full news article about the garden community projects funding.

The Oxfordshire Rail Corridor Study Proposals for a new station at Wantage/Grove are included in a new report looking at how the rail network can best support Oxfordshire’s predicted growth in jobs and housing. Click here for a summary of the report on the Network Rail website. Proposals for new Parliamentary constituency boundaries The Boundary Commission for England (BCE) has published its initial proposals for new Parliamentary constituency boundaries and launched an eight-week consultation, which closes on 2 August 2021. People can comment on a range of issues such as where the proposed new boundary lines are to the names of the constituencies. You can view the proposed changes for the south east on the Boundary Commission website. In particular, we would draw your attention to numbers 28 and 41-45 which detail proposals for Oxfordshire. In summary, these include:  significantly reconfiguring the Wantage constituency, which would become more compact. It would also be renamed Didcot and Wantage to reflect its two main population areas.  increasing the number of constituencies in Oxfordshire from six to seven  making relatively minor changes to the Henley and Oxford East constituencies Note from Hayleigh and Sarah: these proposals only affect our parliamentary constituency (currently Wantage), in which residents vote for an MP during General Elections. The proposals do not change anything about the current parish, district or county council boundaries.

Council News

Council Meetings The next Full Council meeting of the Vale of White Horse District council will be on Wednesday 14th July at 7.00pm – click here for the agenda and link to watch the meeting online. Due to the recent legislation change regarding council meetings, this meeting will be held in person at 135 Milton Park. However, the new hybrid format will still be used, where the meeting is conducted via video conference and broadcast online, and members of the public can choose to attend remotely or in person. Councillors can also attend remotely but are not permitted to vote unless present in person.

The Oxfordshire Growth Board met on Tuesday 8th June – click here for the minutes of the meeting. Members of the public and ward councillors are able to participate in meetings remotely, as well as in person and via written statement. If you wish to speak at any council meeting (full council, cabinet, committees etc), you just need to register in advance with Democratic Services: email democratic.services@southandvale.gov.uk

New White Horse Community Lottery: win prizes and help good causes

The White Horse Community Lottery has been launched by the Vale of White Horse District council as a fun and creative way for voluntary and community groups to raise much needed funds. Players of the lottery can choose which local good cause(s) they want to support when they purchase tickets and prizes range from free prize draw entries to a weekly £25,000 jackpot. Tickets cost just £1 with 60p from every ticket sold going to support charities and community groups across the Vale of White Horse. For more information on where to buy tickets and how to get involved as a local organisation, click here for the full news article about the lottery.

Climate Emergency Advisory Committee

The latest meeting of our Climate Emergency Advisory Committee (CEAC) took place on 14 June and featured:  A review of the progress to develop a new council tree policy  An update on Public Sector Decarbonisation Scheme projects Click here to watch a recording of the CEAC meeting. For more information on the Climate Emergency Advisory Committee, click here to visit the website. Taking climate action together Last month the district council held a town and parish council forum on ‘Climate action – how can we take action together’. The event featured a review our draft Climate Action Plan and a discussion on how we can work together to achieve our major target of becoming a carbon neutral district..The feedback and ideas that towns and parishes provided on the draft plan’s six main themes – transport, energy, natural environment, non-domestic buildings, homes and waste, will be shared and, where appropriate, incorporated into the draft climate action plan. We expect to publish our Climate Action Plan in Autumn 2021 – watch this space for more updates.

Move Together

The Move Together initiative recently launched across Oxfordshire for people who are clinically extremely vulnerable and who have been shielding, and any residents whose health has been affected by the lockdowns over the past year. Click here for the full news article about Move Together.

New air quality website for the county – they want your views The district council has been working with Oxford City Council, the county council and the other districts on a countywide air quality community website to help raise awareness of air pollution. Once developed, the website should provide air quality evidence, information and advice in a simple and accessible manner to all Oxfordshire visitors and residents.

This week the city council has launched a consultation asking local people for their views on what they want from the new website. Click here for the consultation – the deadline to submit your comments is 5 September. Ultra-fast broadband coming to our area Open Reach has announced that 45,000 homes and businesses in Oxfordshire should benefit from ultrafast full fibre broadband by 2026. This follows £18m investment in the county with Abingdon, Blewbury, Childrey, Cumnor, Didcot, Marcham, Oxford, Wantage and Warborough set to benefit. More information Click here for more information from OpenReach.

Councils’ Five year land supply maintained

The council is pleased to confirm that it has maintained a five-year housing land supply, helping to limit the opportunity for speculative development in our communities. Click here for the statement on the five-year housing land supply. New management structure at district councils to provide stability to residents South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse district councils have made their interim senior management team structure permanent to help provide a firm and stable base from which they can deliver their corporate plan priorities and services to residents. Click here for the full news article about the management structure.